Ladies on a Mission: The Official Site

Well, these are the main ones:

Cooking
    Exercising
    Reading - novels, health and nutrition, addiction
    Quilting
    Other sewing
    Making jewelry
    Dabbling in knitting, crochet, origami, etc.

Comment

NS I like your list..I have a few of those in common...need to expand not that I have more time but I need to actually feel like doing them..
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Sometimes I'm not quite in the mood to do something but once I start messing around, I usually get interested. My favorite part is figuring out how to do something so I rarely do the same exact thing more than a couple times. So much information is available online, you really can teach yourself to make so many things that maybe you see and like in the stores. Or - come up with something entirely new!

Comment

Hi Gals,
          Just a quick HI from work. I am super busy today and can't spend too much time here.
          I love reading your posts and should have more feedback tonight.
          SL that was funny about 'catching' the girls trying to Moderate. Like we can moderate!

I Wish I had enough time to read all the books I want to read. The pile of books keeps getting higher on my night table. Maybe I will read some at Christmas. Cause I won't be boozin!
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

NoSugar;1599427 wrote: Hi, FF

So I'll be honest with you: I no longer really enjoy going out with my friends to chat and have a couple of drinks. It is different when one person is being brought soda waters while the others are sharing a bottle of wine. The conversations about what to order and how good it is are awkward when one person is left out. My not drinking makes them more aware of how much they are drinking and there are a lot of comments about that (not by me!). This is something that I used to enjoy that I for the most part have lost. AND IT HAS TOTALLY BEEN WORTH THE PRICE! If these women had been mere drinking buddies, I suppose I would have lost them, too, but they are much more than that - we all care about one another and have long shared histories. I bet you also will not lose your good friends - the suppers might be different and other, non-drinking activities might become more important. Things change but if you look at your life as a whole, the gains far outweigh the losses.
            Hi NS, Thanks for the kind post. I never go out just for drinks - that bores me and the excessive people in my life I left over three years ago - I moved town.

It's not the friends who are the problem, it's me. Most of the time I see my friends sober because most of the time I am sober. I enjoy meeting friends for coffee/tea. It's the odd dinners out that throw me when I do still 'enjoy' sharing a bottle of wine (yes, my mindset needs to change). It's never excessive with friends (in fact I'd hate to be drunk in front of anyone now). It's me that takes it to the next level on my own and that is why I need to abstain because my off switch is faulty. I do now go AF quickly and have good stints, but then I do it again.

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. I shall have a good read tomorrow. Tired now and have to go to bed but wanted to check in.
            FF:l
            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

available,
              I just wanted to thank you for the suggested videos/documentaries. I watched a couple today and found them very sobering. The one called Utterly Addicted to Alcohol was chilling. Thanks for the suggestions.
              Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Hi Dill and no problems, someone posted it on Newbies nest and its always good to share so the credit is not really mine but i will take it ha ha.

NS now the thread i opened did not mention anything about moderation in its title and i noticed someone i knew had posted on there so thought i would check it out. It was scary shit to see how the al brain kicked in so quickly though. I know i cannot mod at all, ever, i am an alcoholic. "Catching" that is funny but thanks for caring and keeping us on here on the straight and narrow. It was difficult last night as no one was on but after a stern talking to by myself of course i diverted my attention to other things so all turned out well.
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Sometimes i read the mod threads and they all seem to be able to do it and just enjoy life,but then i get envious and it gets that creepy side of my brain going,wish i could just be oblivious to it
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi all - well Av, yes indeed they had a Sav B smelling candle!! I had to wonder if the lady selling them was in a similar boat to us and using this as an excuse to buy - I can just see - got to nip out to buy some more supplies for my candles
                    Had a fair day - well it was good. I manage a few staff, and two teams of highly skilled nurses - the two teams got together and bought me a Christmas gift - they obviously put a lot of thought into it, it is very generous and really lovely - but....it is a six month subscription to a wine of the month club - a bottle of white and a bottle of red delivered to my door every month!!!! Hells bells - how wonderful is that - what is a girl to doWell I know what to do, the hard part wil be to do it six times....this is going to be a real trial....I really don't think I can think of much worse just now.....
                    Day 34, and I even had dreams of reaching day 100 today, but this twist has got my brain zinging!:upset::upset:
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Oh SL obviously they knew you liked a drop lol. Way too funny by far but i can imagine how you felt. Like wtf am i going to do with this. Can you arrange to have it sent to someone elses address for six months that might work. Not mine though thanks!

I think Sav B or any kind of candle made to smell like wine would be foul but yes you are right she could be in our boat staying afloat by whatever means it takes.

I am more motivated after last nights issues of that bloody moderating thread and only 4 days till it is 3 weeks. I just want those thoughts to piss off to where they belong which is not in my head.

Dot how did the drs go?

Pauly I'm glad you can relate to me, oh so envious but i think it would be so easy to tip over the edge and end back to where i was, well i know for me that would happen.
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

available I see the cardiologist tomorrow and dh has his stress test..both docs in the same office...will report tomorrow, if we know anything and that is iffy at best...
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Available,i KNOW id tip over the edge thats probly the hugest reason i quickly chase those mod thoughts away
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hope all goes well Dottie.
                            Yes, Pauly, I'm with you on that. No chance of moderating here. Maybe once and then the next time oops, I'm drunk!
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

MAE, All:

SL - Sorry about your plight. Is there someone who is an organizer that you could confide in? I like the idea of having it sent somewhere else, too. I know you are ODAAT right now, but that seems like a plan you should put in place soon! Those two bottles will lead to two more, and so on, and so on. I'm sure that will happen to me some day, as most likely everyone thinks booze is a good present to give me!

Dottie: Good luck with your tests. Is just going to the doctor with your DH a stress test in and of itself? (heh heh).

G - I am with you - shake it anyway possible, but for me, outdoors is best. I guess that's why I landed in Northern California. The average temps where I live vary 10 degrees summer to winter - 65F to 55F. Some miss the seasons, but I can drive to them easily enough, and with this weather I can spend a lot of time out doors which is my favorite place to be.

Available - Thanks for the links from the Nest. I hear you about those modder threads, especially the ones where someone seems to be doing ok. I agree, however, that a) modding is not a choice for me and b) not having to decide when, how much, what, where, etc. every day is better for me anyway. If I could mod, I'm sure I would. It was interesting to hear (why can't I remember her name, author of Drink) remind us that moderating for women is less than one glass of wine per day, and not drinking every day. There aren't many drinkers I know who are actual "moderate" drinkers in those terms. I can think of three, and I know a lot of drinkers!

I have a concert with friends on Saturday night. The last concert I went to was with these same friends, and was the beginning of the end for me. I will tell them that I am on the wagon, but if there was a group of friends I would tell that I have quit for good it would be them. I just don't want to make it awkward for them (and me) by making some grand announcement when I show up. I'd rather just be not drinking when they ask. It will be a trigger situation, but I feel strong. Last time I planned to drink (after three weeks off), and had planned to all along. This time, I will not drink. I will eat a lot, and volunteer to be the designated driver as well.

Welcome to the thread Pauly and Dill. Anyone I missed?

Thanks for the posts, everyone. I read them all at work, but I can't post from there, and then I get so far behind! I hope everyone has a fabulous, sober Tuesday. Good Night from the end of Day 15.

Comment

NS, thanks for those couple of spot on posts. I am fortunate to be able to come here and benefit from your words and the words of others.

The things I do to keep occupied aside from work:
                                Spinning fiber
                                Knitting and crocheting
                                Reading and more reading
                                Walking the dogs
                                Taking pictures
                                Cooking
                                Watching good shows (just watched Intervetion Canadian, recommended over at the nest.)
                                I'm going to take an online class in a subject of interest to me (weighing a few options).

Stuff like that. As far as 3 areas in which I'm grateful tonight:
                                1. My dogs, cats, turtle, and husband.
                                2. The amazing recovery of my nephew after a car accident, which the docs are calling a miracle and he ascribes to the power of prayer.
                                3. My sobriety so that I can walk with confidence and bearing in life, forming positive and mutually reinforcing and supporting relationships with others.
                                Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Working...
                                X