Joyous June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joyous June

Morning friends,Star summer is officially here too but while I thrive in the heat its hard to do anything fun cuz its too hot for everyone else, can't take Lou to the park during the day,or for a walk,etc,sometimes I wish I'd never moved here..I came here out of desperation cuz we were living in Utah and the jobs just dried up,hubs came down got hired in a day came home and we packed our bags and kids and left but I wonder how different things would have turned out if I'd have just stayed there? I'm a huge believer though in that things go the way they're supposed to, if I'd have stayed there we wouldn't have Louie,wouldn't have met people we're supposed to have met,I dunno,since Jon's death I've been thinking too much about the past,present and future,things I could have changed,still could change,just too much in my mind,Cyn,you busy bee check in Lav,glad the pergola is making a move,wishing us all a nice AF Monday
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Morning all - wishing all a good start to the week. Sorry to be away yesterday, it was all just too much, with SD, her dog coming, my dog having a hard time, figuring out food for dinner, uuuugh! But girl dog is better today; she seemed to rally yesterday, and I finally got to sleep on a couch instead of on the floor, since she was strong enough to go up the 5 steps to the dog room. Who knows what the future holds...

Pauly, it is interesting to look back, but I try to keep it to a minimum for myself -- too many 'should of' for me. This issue with my dog is teaching me to just stay focused on each moment, and try to make it the best moment. That's quite a gift!

Star, I bet you were tired from a 2 year old overnight! I hope you can enjoy the weather, and find a handful of go-to recipes for the summer. Thank goodness for salads! Good luck with your hunt.

Lav, glad to hear that the pergola is coming along. Absolutely nothing is moving forward here, ah well.

Today is my birthday, and the great gift is that girl dog is better... I was worried that we would have to make the dreaded vet visit today, but it looks now instead like we will just have a quiet, productive day - which is perfect for me! Enough drama from last week - drama free is a great gift.

Wishing everyone well and happy today ---

Comment

Happy Birthday Cyn!!

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Greetings friends!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Cyn!!!
          So glad to hear your dog is feeling better. I hope you can get some really decent sleep, I know what a gift that is in itself. LOL

Star, I am happy to hear you survived your overnight guest. I know what energy suckers two year olds can be, ha ha!
          I just heard 90 degree heat & lots of humidity will be arriving here next Monday, oh boy.
          Since it's still coolish here I made a vegan lasagna tonight (recipe from Save Our Bones). It is really good & satisfying too. Keep experimenting, you will find what you like.

Pauly, like Cyn I try not to think in terms of 'what could have been'. There's really little point in doing that, we can't change anything in the past. I do my best to make 'today' as good as possible so next week I can look back & say - Monday was a good day. Don't use up your energy on stuff you can't change. Keep your focus forward & aim for the best you can do

Nothing exciting around here today, just a rainy Monday & more on the way tomorrow I believe.
          Sad to hear of the workplace shooting in Orlando today, 5 souls gone. It's long been my belief we need stronger gun control laws in this country. YB has always disagreed with me, so what else is new?
          Have a peaceful night everyone.

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning...

Pauly, interesting that you are reflecting on life choices as I have been doing that too. I was looking through old pics Sunday afternoon, and came upon a great one with my good friend who passed away in 2015, my daughter and myself, we were wrapped in sarongs for some reason, and laughing. Looked like a great time, but I also know that other things were going on too at that time too. Negative things. Regarding your move from Utah, you had to go where there were jobs. I know when we packed up and moved a few years ago it has been much easier to find jobs than where we used to live. I know that with grief everything is questioned, trying to make sense of events, put everything in its place, finding a pattern, a reason. :hug:

Happy Birthday Cyn, hope your day was good! Lots going on and then having to plan dinner is stressful. My daughter is coming over tomorrow night with both kids and husband and she is not excited that we are vegan. She says, I need protein. So I have to think of something to make that everyone with like. Yikes, it IS stressful. Even though I know from reading FoK that plant based whole foods are about 10% protein and that is enough. The protein craze is too much, just like so much about diet we are told. Anyway, hope your visit was good. It is so hard as our pets age, you are doing a fantastic job. An extra pet in the house is alot, I know.

Lav, another rainy day for you, well get ready, it was hot the last few days. Now we are set up for 70s and that is much better for outdoor activities. I agree about the gun laws, guns and emotional upset are bad partners, I can't stand all the violence that is happening. I have been avoiding the news, period. Being at home more I choose to protect myself from negativity and it is working well for me. I made a Morrocan Rice Pilaf for dinner and it was just OK, but my husband really liked it. Hmmm, wonder what I will make today! I bought the FoK cook book and have another by Dr. Neal Barnard, so have lots of recipes to try out. I am feeling lighter already, less hunger between meals, I wonder why? Plus, no stomach upset, it is really nice. Going out to lunch today with a group from exercise and I will order a salad and a tea, so I should be good. I feel positive and excited about this decision. Hope you have a great day.

Tuesday to be AF for all of us.

Comment

Morning all - rainy and cold here; I think soup is in order here today!

Pauly, you comments have gotten me thinking more... with my clients I sometimes do Legacy Work, which not about 'what if' and 'should have done', but more about 'what does this show you about your strengths as a person?' It is a way to find and honor the things about yourself that are positive; you were strong enough to make a change and better your situation, you are a great grandmother, you are funny and wise and care deeply about your family, etc. using Gratitude when you review your life, even for the hard things, is really key in this work. Since I work with so many seniors who are letting go of many physical objects in their life, and are suffering loss of health, etc. I encourage them to find the positives in their lives that still exist, no matter what - they can always hold onto that!

Star, this culture has no idea how much plant protein there is! Good luck with the family meal -- they'll live!

Lav, I hope you are getting some sleep these days with Maxie. I also hope your recent weather has been as beautiful as here - before the rain came, I was able to sit out in the deck with girl dog, and the birds were singing and it was all bright and fresh. Your lasagna sounded great!

Wishing all a lovely Tuesday... AF of course...

Comment

Morning friends, Star,how about a big pot of chili? Probably not great during the summer months but your daughter probably won't notice its meatless,we're up to 105 here the only bad part is sweaty customers! Its absolutely disgusting, Cyn,did you do anything for your birthday? Today's our anniversary I just got hung a few tank tops,a belt,some summer sandals he likes(but wears with socks!!!) We went for an early dinner to Red Lobster on Saturday, I hadn't been in awhile and it was really good, we didnt dress up like we usually do for our anni dinners,just not in the mood,Lav,can you share the veg lasagna recipe? I love lasagna but I'm getting to where red sauce is bugging me I'll never give up my pizza though!! Text with my mom last night she says she's still in denial,having second thoughts about having Jon cremated cuz he had a backpack with him with clothes we think he wanted to be buried in,some rings and necklaces, I just feel like if thats what he wanted he should have left a note letting us know,plus it would have cost more for burial and I feel like he did this why should we do what he wants after he caused so much pain? But then I was mad at myself for thinking that I was looking at pics of him as a teen and he looked sad then too,something in the eyes,,but I could see that same haunted look in the girls' eyes in old pics too,maybe having a shit faced mom saying"let me take a pic" constantly was just too much,meh,wishing us all a nice AF Tuesday

Comment

Good evening friends,

So there's a cold front moving in, supposedly right behind some severe weather. I've gotten at least 4 text alerts about the severe weather but it must have gone somewhere else. Crazy stuff.

Star, the reason you feel less hunger between vegan meals is you are consuming much more FIBER. Fiber keeps you full longer, cleans out your arteries & keeps your gut happy
                  There is ZERO fiber in animal products - meat, milk, cheese, ice cream & all that but it's full of artery clogging cholesterol.
                  Point your daughter to the FoK website so she can read about the athletes & body builders doing just fine on vegan meals. Enjoy your company

Cyn, the temp dropped here without the storm so I'm not complaining, ha ha. Heat wave due to arrive Sunday I believe.
                  I'm hoping for an actual full night's sleep tonight, Maxie has about worn me out with her night time confusion, ugh.
                  I also spend time each day acknowledging the positives, they are always there once you learn to look past the BS.

Pauly, I hope your Mom makes a quick decision regarding your brother. Delaying this decision is not good for her or anyone. I don't think any of us can immediately accept a sudden death, that takes time. Grieving & healing will come at different times for everyone.

About that vegan lasagna recipe - it's a bit too involved to write out here. Let me see if I can locate the recipe & post a link. It's easy enough to put together but you have to make your own dairy free ricotta (cashews) & the vegetable/tomato sauce, use whole grain lasagna noodles, etc. It is definitely work a little time in the kitchen.

Tomorrow is Hump day already, geez. Friday morning YB & son are heading up to Gloucester, MA to go out fishing on Saturday. It's a big deal for them, they have a ball & come home with lots of fish. I'll just stay here & hold down the fort, ha ha!
                  Have a peaceful night!

Lav
                  Last edited by Lavande; June 6, 2017, 08:24 PM.
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

Cyn, I love the way you use strength based questions to assist your clients. I find that works better for everyone, to look at the positives of why certain decisions were made. Especially as we get older. I know from the old pic I found that I did the best I could with everything, so did my friend, my daughter. That is such a good way to think about things. Thank you, I love your compassion for others. It's funny about the family meal attitude, they always complained about something, but did not realize how lucky they were that I am such an awesome chef!

Pauly, chili is not a fav with my kids, so I have decided to make vegan spinach lasagna, something from the past my husband and I liked. So sorry you are going through so much with your brother's passing, it is hard when others are making decisions that you might not agree with. Nice that you had a sweet anniversary dinner, so lucky to have a good marriage. Hope your day goes well.

Lav, thanks for telling me about the fiber. So last night I made Udon Noodle Salad with tons of veggies and it was soooo good. We were surprised we were so full/satisfied. We felt really good after eating too, so were kind of amazed. This is really working. It is lots of planning and cooking though, I could never do all this and work full time, so grateful to be off. My lunch with co-exercisers was fun, they are a nice group of ladies. I am grateful to have met them and have the opportunity to exercise daily. I know you will find something to do when the guys are gone, maybe hang out with your daughter? Or just relax and be on your own. I have been reading biographies and really enjoying myself. A good book can take you away.

I may not be able to post the next few days. My family is staying overnight, then I am driving to see my frenemy up north. Haha. We are speaking again, but I am very cautious and set boundaries to protect myself. She can get negative and I don't want it directed at me. We are taking her elderly mother out to dinner (I know I live a wild life) as she would like to see me and visa versa. So, will try and check in Friday afternoon when I get home. It is about a three hour drive each way but the weather forecast is 70s and sunny and I love a good road trip.

Great AF days to all.

Comment

Morning friends,Star,have a nice time I used to subscribe to FoK too but I guess I lost interest, think its time to regain interest though,hubs and I have been very sluggish lately,I dunno if its stress or what but I think eating lighter would help just not sure how long I can stick to it ATM,been reading some of Jon's sites and the messages are mostly positive and how to make yourself a better person,avoiding meat cuz animals are living things,healing crystals,meditation, etc and he was doing those things,just wonder where it all fell apart but my guess is drugs even though my mom refuses to believe that he had drugs in his system, I say b.s,Lav,they have already sent him off for cremation, my hometown is very small 4,000 people so they had to transfer his body 2 1/2 hours up north for it,only when he was on the way my mom started having second thoughts,Cyn,hope your day is nice wishing us all a peaceful AF Wednesday (already?)

Comment

Hello all - I am typing outside on my laptop, so please excuse typos - i can hardly see the screen.

Star, lasagna is a good choice! I also have a great black bean recipe - probably would be terrific with Lav's cashew ricotta cheese. (And yes, the kids are darn lucky to have a chef in their Mom! No matter what you make! I finally have told my fam that I'll cook it, but I'm not menu planning or grocery shopping for them anymore. So there!) Good luck with your trip - i love the 'Frenemy' word, ha! Drive safely and watch out for the other people on the road!

Lav, I must try that cashew ricotta - I am needing to get deeper into what one can do with nuts... that would really expand the food repertoire. I remember the fishing trip is special for your guys -- I hope you have something nice planned for yourself. And the chicken family as well, of course!

Pauly - wow, so much drama for you right now. So glad that you are staying centered and able to look at those memories with clear eyes. Sending you lots of light. My birthday was super-quiet, just as I requested. No going out for food, since I can't really eat out much right now. Just a quiet day at home hanging close to my girl dog. I did however get a little vegan lemon tart and put a candle in it - something HB wouldn't have thought of, but I needed a little 'light'! (PS - 105, jeez, I remember that June is sometimes the cruelest month in the desert... good luck with stinky customers!)

I'm having some more outdoor time with girl dog (and the other 2!) on the deck. It has been a real perk for her to show me how to enjoy the outside more; I would never think to come out and work on the deck, but it is pleasant. Right now the neighbors are in chain-saw heaven, so they're making a racket, but they must be burning some of the old wood, since there's a beautiful smell of a bit of smoke in the air, and every so often an ash or two flows by. A few days ago we were outside as a shower came by, and I put up the umbrella - the sound of rain on canvas was so reminiscent of my camping days, just like the smell of an outdoor wood fire... all so nice, and all thanks to girl dog...

Wishing all a good AF Wednesday - here's to you, Sooty!

Comment

Good evening friends!

It was chilly & sunless here today & there's a heat wave on the way. Who figures this stuff out anyway? Ha ha!

Star, enjoy your trip & I hope your friend behaves decently. I pushed away all the energy suckers a long time ago, I figured I am better off on my own. What can I say?
                          Hope your lasagna is awesome. Btw, the high fiber intake also helps to keep your blood sugar stable & you don't get those spikes after a meal.

Pauly, at some point your mom should receive a written report of Jon's postmortem & you will know if/what drugs were involved.
                          I just hope you can move on & don't let any of this drag you down. You are doing well & I really want to see you continue to move forward.

I actually just found a link for the vegan lasagna & ricotta that I make -
                          Bone-Friendly And Dairy-Free Lasagna, Fettuccine Alfredo, And Cheesecake? You Bet!

When I make the tomato/veggie sauce I use a large 30 oz can of unsalted tomato sauce like Hunt's. I add all the veggies in the recipe & also add a clove or two of chopped garlic & a heaping teaspoon of Italian seasoning. I thin it out with a little water & let it simmer for a bit.

Cyn, you will find the cashew ricotta very easy to make, soak the cashews for 3 hours before you begin. I've read else where that you can just boil them for a few minutes if you forget to do the soaking - it works
                          I'm glad you & your doggies are getting some outside time. It's fun hearing the sounds of nature & watching my smaller dog stalk a groundhog!!!

I am finding the longer I do the vegan cooking the easier it gets to manage. I am also a fan of making more than I need so I have leftovers to use or freeze, LOL
                          Have a nice night everyone!

Lav

PS: I have the FoK app on my iPad which means I literally have the recipes at my fingertips, easy! They update the app regularly & add new recipes
                          Last edited by Lavande; June 7, 2017, 08:12 PM.
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning...

I am up early as I went to bed at 8:30 with my grandson and fell asleep! So, here I am. We had a nice time, it was cooler here only in the 60s and sunny, so no pool, but the hot tub was a good option. My daughter is doing really well, the baby is just focused on eating, eating, eating, every two hours, round the clock. Fun time but time consuming and exhausting. Truly blessed and I know it and filled with gratitude.

Lav, does the FoK app cost? I bought the books, but also will look all around the internet for recipes too. I think my nut allergy is gone, I have had almonds, just a few and have been fine. The lasagna was a hit, it was perfect and I did not realize but my daughter has to stay away from dairy due to breast feeding for now, so it was even more perfect. I am going to check out your link, thanks. My friend and I have known each other for over 50 years, grew up together and so I have to have patience if she is going to get a better attitude. My moving and other circumstances brought out the worst in her, but we still care about each other alot. This is interesting, my friend from work texted me that there are continuing sh**storms going on at my old job, so I am even more content that I left.

Cyn, what a lovely time outside with your pets, really taking advantage of all your circumstances and making the best of everything. I love this time of year when being outside for most of the day and all the windows open makes it wonderful. Sounds like a good birthday and the lemon tart sounded tasty. I kind of felt the same about cooking for family, I will make something but if they have special requests, they get to figure it out. I had veggies, hummus, salad, fruit, lasagna, breadsticks, so it was all good.

Pauly, I think you are right about drug use sending your brother on the wrong path. I have know it to hurt people in my life and family members don't even know who they are anymore. Your mother second guessing herself is painful to hear too. Keep taking care of yourself and posting. Thinking of you.

Well, busy day again today, so enjoying the quiet and computer time. Have a great AF day!

Comment

Morning friends,Star,have a safe trip and enjoy yourself Lav,I dunno about making my own cashew cheese,the almond cheese I tried turned out...interesting to say the least gagworthy for sure!Cyn,your neighbors being in chainsaw heaven cracked me up haha I do love that smell though but its more for fall that I link the two,gosh my ability to spell has taken a hit in these past few weeks, also I have a hard time remembering small things so I write it on my hand,too much mental stress I guess,need to get ahold of the car rental place where we had our reservation for next week and tell them we're not going to California just yet but to move the reservation to next month for Jon's memorial/funeral not sure what to call it,anyways, wishes for a safe AF Thursday for us all

Comment

Good morning all -

Sheesh, that guy with the chainsaw must be psychic... it's been quiet all morning, and girl dog was resting outside but then got anxious, so I came out to sit with her and enjoy the sun and quiet, and guess what... WHRRRRRRRRR! I'm truly getting annoyed at this point. I guess if they wait until 9 AM, I shouldn't complain.

Dear Pauly, of course your mind is a little fuzzy, it has been preoccupied with a lot of things. Sorry you have to change your trip plans - I hope you can have some good road time at least when you go. Do take care --

Lav, I am making a computer folder of GF, high alkaline recipes at this point... even when I try to eat on the plan, I end up in the lowest end of the Ph spectrum. I'm printing out the List of best foods, and going to just do those for awhile. Even when I just have a cup of tea, it seems to really have an effect - who knew! Breathing and yoga; I must get more of that folded into the plan.

Star - wow, what a great time at your family meal - congrats, that's a hard act to pull off! Have fun on your trip -- it's good that you know what you're walking into. I've found that people get really upset when we ourselves go into a growth pattern. Hopefully your friend will be better behaved now.

I got some $$$ Doggie Hemp oil for girl dog - allegedly (it is mixed with omegas) it can have a shrinking effect on tumors, plus it 'chills out' the nervous system a lot. Just started last night - so far she seems much less clingy, but it could just be the way she is today... I'll report more soon.

Wishing all a great AF Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                X