Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready to quit smoking? or Have you already Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there!!

I will just say, if you do give up the ciggies--you won't regret it! As time goes on, it gets easier. I am really looking forward to the day that I don't even think about it or miss it.
    something I read on the Quitnet site I thought interesting:

In a technical sense you never overcome nicotine addiction--each cell in your body is permanently altered by nicotine. Brain cells don't replace themselves the way body cells do. This is why it's really easy to slip back into smoking, even after "only one" ciggie--all those brain cells "remember" the nicotine and start craving all over again. Eventually, most people stop thinking obsessively about cigarettes after the first few months and begin to see themselves as NON-smokers, so the likelihood that they will go back to smoking decreases significantly.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I stopped smoking about 15 years (maybe more) ago. With NRT chewing gum. Still had the "odd" one from time to time (rarely) Then about 2 years ago when my mum got cancer (how stupid is that???) i started again. Not heavily but enough to make me feel not that well and still very addicted to the NRT gum. I have not had a ciggie for 4 weeks now along with no al but I am still chewing the gum so obviously still addicted to nicotine. Feel SO much better though and don't really think about smoking but still love my gum!!! Any ideas anybody?? I once rung up a smoking helpline who didn't see the problem with chewing the gum for years and years as long as I wasn't smoking
      I need a good reason now to give up the gum!!!
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hi Starting--

Your post made me think of my mom. She was one of those that started smoking in the early 50's because there was nothing wrong with it. In her early 60's the Dr said she should quit because she had high cholesterol, high bp..........she always resented having to give them up, and chewed the gum like crazy. One time I simply asked her how long she was supposed to chew the gum, and nearly got my head bitten off!!
        I guess if its working, it's a helluva lot better than smoking. Allen Carr's book helped me a lot, and his theory is absolutely no nicotine replacement--obviously because the addiction is to nicotine. So this time I didn't use the gum--it didn't really help me anyway. My addiction is probably more psychological than physical.
        You might read his book "Stop smoking the Easy Way" (or something like that). I also used some self hypnosis and subliminal cd's, along with yoga and relied pretty heavily on a prayer group.
        Hang in there!! :h
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thanks LV. Yep, I tried the Allen Carr book. I think that like any addiction, there comes a point when you say to yourself enough is enough. I said that with alcohol plus a number of other drugs but the day hasn't come yet when i say it about my gum
          You're right it is better than smoking but still an addiction and nasty habit all the same. One day I will kick it though!!!

Comment

startingover;373909 wrote: I stopped smoking about 15 years (maybe more) ago. With NRT chewing gum. Still had the "odd" one from time to time (rarely) Then about 2 years ago when my mum got cancer (how stupid is that???) i started again. Not heavily but enough to make me feel not that well and still very addicted to the NRT gum. I have not had a ciggie for 4 weeks now along with no al but I am still chewing the gum so obviously still addicted to nicotine. Feel SO much better though and don't really think about smoking but still love my gum!!! Any ideas anybody?? I once rung up a smoking helpline who didn't see the problem with chewing the gum for years and years as long as I wasn't smoking
            I need a good reason now to give up the gum!!!
            Hi ya, startingover!! Welcome to this awesome thread, not to mention the website!

I am with you on the gum. It a has been a few months since I have quit. However, I think I am more addicted to the gum than I was ever to ciggies!! If I run out of the gum, I absolutely panic.

4 weeks isn't very long for being on the gum, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like you said, it is better than smoking, by far!

Even after this amount of time for me, I wouldn't give up the gum quite yet. I think there would be a murder in the neighbourhood if I did.

Good for you on the 4 weeks!

Comment

Hello everyone, I am day 52 no smokes, still struggling with AL but drinking way less.
              I agree about Allen Carrs book I read that and it really was easy as stated in the title.
              I am now reading his
              book the easy way to stop drinking and hope it helps as much. Biscuit

Comment

Hi AFM!
                Wow a fellow chewer :H Never met one of those before. Ah if only it was 4 weeks that I had been chewing. It is probably about 15 years!!! This lapse with my fags I was doing both! Must say I prefer the gum though. I too get panicky when running low. Addictive personality I think. Like you said tho. better than smoking :H
                Nearly 6 weeks with no fags and just over 5 weeks with no booze and feeling great !!!
                Biscuit 52 days is GREAT! Good going!!! I read the allen carr book too its really good.

Comment

I quit about a month ago, the last time I smoked was probably a few nights ago, so still not given up all together. I find social smoking the hardest thing to give up
                  AF since 19th August 2008! :yay::yay::wings::yay:

Comment

Hi little uk star! I was a social smoker deluxe. When I was younger I could just smoke a few at parties and then not smoke again until the next party. As time went on I was drinking more just so I could smoke. I never smoked unless I drank. So I had to give up the al along with the smokes!

I've been wondering how everyone is doing with their smoking addictions. Haven't seen some of my quit-smoking pals around for awhile. If you're out there, do me a favor and let me know how you're doing.

Me? I quit March 1, 2008, so going on 7 months! I was still smoking some until June 1, since then I've been totally nicotine free!

Comment

Wow LV that is great!!! I am still like a cow chewing cud with my gum
                      But have not actually smokesd a ciggarette since I gave up AL. So it's good for me.
                      I am feeling much better but I do think the amount of gum I chew is making me jittery....so I take lots of GABA for that :H
                      God this addiction thing is mad isn't it? I seem to go through life taking something for the symptoms of LIVING :H
                      You are doing great though so well done hon

Comment

Hi guys
                        You probably picked it up from the other threads LVT but I am doing good also - same as you as long as I dont drink I dont want to smoke and if I cant smoke I dont want to drink! When I recently had realisation that I couldnt smoke now even if I wanted to so the binge drinking is also gone out the window the first thought that came into my head was well you have truly fucked yourself now! How weird is that! Who is this person and why is it living in my brain.....
                        BH (no more)

Comment

Just bumping this up in case it can help Star and others wanting to quit smoking.

Comment

shit

Comment

sorry. bad attitude.

Comment

Thanks LVT; I'm on Day 3 NF!!!! I had three patches so I'll use the 3rd one today and chew the gum. 2morrow will be gum only. It is really going better than I expected!!! Come and join me guys....get your feet wet in the land without smoke. Krigs
                                "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                                X