Wt loss Exercise Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wt loss Exercise Thread

bratty57;985923 wrote: I want to lose 25 more pounds. It is slowing down now though. It gets frustrating after the first pounds. I have lost 9 since i quit drinking two weeks ago. I am trying to gain as much muscle as i can in my legs so i can go on longer bike tours.

I am tryin to remind myself that muscle weighs more than fat. I just have to hang in there and the pounds and inches will drop off. I have done it before, so i know i can do it again.
    Muscle is also twice as metabolically active as fat, so the more muscle you gain, the greater the fat-burning powerhouse becomes.
    I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Was going to get up early and take dog for walk.......didn't happen *urgh*
      Will try to do SOMETHING today! Am really sore and achey from the swordfight last night..burises on bruises, so might just do a walk later,will weigh in also *yikes* here goes:

Bugger...nothing lost..dang that pizza!!!!!!
      *sigh*

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

sapphire1;985979 wrote: Hello Bratty, Rebirth and others to come today,

Bratty are you doing weight training to gain muscle in your legs? If not, then youmight like to add weighted squats to your program. Calf raises and half dead lifts for the hamstring muscles. A regime of 3 sets of 15-20 for each exercise 2 x week is a good start. I'm off for a run - aiming to do 8kms today am and then weight training this afternoon for approx 30mins. Weight loss to date is 2kg (4.5lbs)...I'm happy with that and dont expect it to be a regular loss. Have a good day everyone. Love Saffy
        Sapphire,
        Yes i do want to gain muscle in my legs, but i havent been doing any weight training for it. Oooooo how i hate squats, but i will try to start working them in..lol.. and i will do the calf raises also. What is a half dead lift?
        Thanks for the help !
        YOU CREATE YOUR OWN REALITY

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

sapphire1;985980 wrote: Muscle is also twice as metabolically active as fat, so the more muscle you gain, the greater the fat-burning powerhouse becomes.
          Hmmm that is good to know. How long does the exercise you do keep burning calories? Or does it stop as soon as you stop?

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Some studies show that there is increased metabolic rate for up to four hours after exercise ceases....so there is up to 25% more fatburning post exercise for about four hours...capitalise on this by moving more incidentally even when not engaged in active exercise..hope I have explained this o.k.
            I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

bratty57;986009 wrote: Sapphire,
              Yes i do want to gain muscle in my legs, but i havent been doing any weight training for it. Oooooo how i hate squats, but i will try to start working them in..lol.. and i will do the calf raises also. What is a half dead lift?
              Thanks for the help !
              Bratty the half dead lift is performed as follows: Stand with feet just wider than hip width apart.....bend knees slightly and at the same time, keeping the spine neutral (S Shape) Bend forward from the hips..pick up weights (either barbell of dumbells), return to standing, keeping weight at knee height and arms straight, repeat (abs must be kept tight throughtout)..fabulous exercise for thighs, back and core muscles.

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

I walk at gym 3+miles/day and also do static "super reps" a few times/week. Got an ebook online from Pete Sisco which explains how to do it. It is really interesting that he claims that we don't need to do any more than lift the heaviest amount we can hold for 5 seconds. So right now I do weightlifting of 25 seconds twice/week (5 different holds). It takes much longer to load and arrange the positions than it does for the actual exercises. also you gain strength very quickly. I am only on the second week and today I did leg press of 610 pounds for 5 seconds! (I am a 58 year old 5'2'' female. I plan to see if this is truly the breakthrough strength program he claims. Who wants to spend useless hours doing injurious reps at the gym? I have been on diet and exercise for 4+ months. Going well
                Sunny

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

This sounds like a slightly different version of the 1 rep max system. I would be a bit skeptical about this system for beginners as the loads required to perform 1 rep max are very high and to unconditioned muscles could cause too much too soon and therefore injury. Also static holds do not work on strengthening the muscle at the origin and insertion points, they activate crossbridging in the belly of the muscle and dont provide strength in the lengthened phase. I would be very interested to see how you go Sunny,but I wouldnt recommend this for general conditioning for beginners. Saff

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Another unplanned 45 mins of sword fighting today.....and no alcohol,which was tempting,so glad I did not give in or give up.
                    Chook

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

sapphire1;986055 wrote: Bratty the half dead lift is performed as follows: Stand with feet just wider than hip width apart.....bend knees slightly and at the same time, keeping the spine neutral (S Shape) Bend forward from the hips..pick up weights (either barbell of dumbells), return to standing, keeping weight at knee height and arms straight, repeat (abs must be kept tight throughtout)..fabulous exercise for thighs, back and core muscles.
                      Thanks alot Sapphire.
                      I have a New exercise to start today. I am always at odds as what new ones to do with free weights. I know it should be switched up and i know i am not suppose to do them every day., right?

I heard that you should give your muscles a day and that is what i usually do. Weights 2 to 3 times a week.

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

OH ! I did lose a pound last night. I have lost 10 now, 24 to go !

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Hey Bratty-super! Nothing like losing a pound overnight...Do you know what also helps with weight loss is a good night's sleep? I think it has something to do with your cortizone levels-
                          I know some people here have trouble with that-
                          Anyway- about to run out to the track to do my 3 miles- maybe I'll push that to 3.5...
                          Oh- yeah- today I must weigh myself- but I'll do that after I run-have a super day!
                          Oh- Chickn'- sword fighting sounds cool-btw-
                          Hi Sunny and Sapp!
                          It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Thanks FLUFF ! !

I have heard too, that it is important to get enough sleep to lose weight. I do have some problems with that. I have a crzy work schedule and then put withdrawing from alcohol with that and i am usually lacking .

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

Today I walked 4 miles. Let my bicycle legs rest today..lol. Well, at least ... in a way.
                              (thursday oct 21)

Comment

Wt loss Exercise Thread

bratty57;986261 wrote: Thanks alot Sapphire.
                                I have a New exercise to start today. I am always at odds as what new ones to do with free weights. I know it should be switched up and i know i am not suppose to do them every day., right?

I heard that you should give your muscles a day and that is what i usually do. Weights 2 to 3 times a week.
                                Yep Bratty, ideally unless the weights are really light, such a 1-2.5kg handweights you should give yourself adequate recovery time. p.s. conversion - 2.2lb - 5.5lbs. YOu are doing an amazing job with your weight loss...you rock:goodjob:

Comment

Working...
                                X