The Last Child by John Hart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered "Shantaram" from the library, it will be here soon.

I am currently reading "Father of the Rain" about a daughters relationship with her alcoholic father. Its a very good book so far...
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

K9Lover;975956 wrote: I just ordered "Shantaram" from the library, it will be here soon.

I am currently reading "Father of the Rain" about a daughters relationship with her alcoholic father. Its a very good book so far...
      Shantaram is a very good read 9. A very unique book. I'll hold back on a critique as it may spoil the narrative for you. We can compare notes later!
      “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

My brother has been trying to get me to read Shantaram for about a year now, but he always tells me too much of the plot, so I have to wait then till I forget, then he tells me again, and so it goes on...maybe I will read it now!

I loved The Book Thief - tis a sad one though.

I just read The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton - a good, fairly light read, bit of a mystery that jumps from early 20th century to 2005 and back.

One of my all time favs is Gone with the Wind - i still remember reading it, i just loved it.

Ethan Hawke's book Ash Wednesday was really good. And I know I've mentioned it a million times already, but The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is my book of the year so far.

Books are my favourite "thing" in the whole world - I'd happily by pass any number of clothes shops just to sit in a book shop or a library for a few hours.
        AF since 13th July 2010
        NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

I read Shantaram and really enjoyed it until the last couple of chapters. The writing was great and so was the story, it was more wishing the narrator/protagonist had gone a different way (trying HARD to give an opinion without a spoiler!). Will be interested to hear what others have to say once you're through it K9 (and maybe Neart ).
          AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
          "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

techie;864678 wrote: I'm half way through A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick...a story about an early 20th century widower who puts an ad in the paper for a "reliable wife" Someone responds, but she is not reliable and not honest. I'll say no more...
            On second thought's, think i'll cancel that ad in the local.....

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

It sounds like I should give Shantaram a try. It looks very interesting. My only concern is that my ADD will baulk at staying focused for 900+ pages!

Right now I am reading Rich Boy and I am planning to read Cutting for Stone
              next.
              John
              AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

paguy;976303 wrote: My only concern is that my ADD will baulk at staying focused for 900+ pages!.
                Me too!! I usually aim for slimmer books cause I get itchy feet after a few hundred pages
                AF since 13th July 2010
                NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

I just put Rich Boy on hold at the library, and I tried to request Cutting for Stone...turns out I already had a request for it...duh.

Speaking of 900+ pages, has anybody read Pillars of the Earth? There's another one called World Without End that is kind of a prelude to Pillars of the Earth. It's 1,000 pages and my sister just finished it and she couldn't say enough about it! I guess I will (gulp) start that one next...1,000 pages!!! :egad:
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I just checked (I am a nerd) - the longest book I read was Gone with the Wind - 1011 pages (and really small print, so that counts as extra). Mind you, I adored every second of that book and didn't want it to end. Guess it depends on how good the book is, at the end of the day!

I haven't heard of Pillars of the Earth - whats it about?
                    AF since 13th July 2010
                    NF since 5th July 2010

Comment

I have never read Gone with the Wind or saw the movie either....

I saw Shantaram in the thrift shop for 50 cents..actually saw Pillars of the earth too, might pick them up now!

I have just finished The Sisterhood by Emily Barr.....I enjoyed it thoroughly.
                      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I am half-way through reading this book and I am loving it. I've never read anything written by John Hart before - he really knows how to draw you in and keep your attention.
                        John
                        AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Finished this book this afternoon and loved it, I've ordered his other two books on Amazon this evening and can't wait to get them
                          Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Working...
                          X