Doctors that prescribe baclofen for addiction

And another, picked up second-hand:

Dr Nelson in Merced, Ca

Comment

bump for newbies

Comment

No Canadian Doc's yet? My appointment is next week.. Hopefully I can add him to the list.

Comment

Seattle, WA in the hizzouse!
          Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
          George Santayana

Comment

Info on doctor in dallas

PbarE;1082750 wrote: I just talked to a buddy of mine in Dallas. He found a doctor there that will follow the high dose baclofen protocol. I have the name, and you can PM me for the info.

So in Texas, there is a doc in Austin and one in Dallas.
            Could you let me know the doctor in Dallas. I am from Wichita Falls (2 hours from there).

Comment

Hiya Holliday. I'll try to get in touch with Pbar and see what I can find out for you. He may even have given me the name? Will check.
              Hi, and :welcome: !

Comment

Dr. Mark Willenbring, practices in St. Paul, MN for Allina Health care. He can be reached at 651-241-5959.

He is former director Treatment and Recovery Research Division of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism/National Institutes of Health. This may make him an especially credible resource when trying to "teach" your doc about bac.

At my last appointment, found out he will be opening up his first clinic in St. Paul, Minnesota this fall. It's encouraging because it'll be a different approach than the standard rehab. I told him for some, residential rehab is critical because they may not have the capability to manage their bac dosages. He said they won't be a residential treatment center but will partner with "sober houses." These are facilities that care for the patients (like through SE's) and agree to follow the doctor's orders when it comes to administering medications like baclofen.

More info can be found at Alltyr.com but it's pretty minimal. The other source and a bit more info is at: Substance Matters: ALLTYR™ Is Born!

Here's a quote from Dr. Mark Willenbring:

The current system of care for people with alcohol and other substance use conditions was developed in the middle of the past century, when scientific understanding was rudimentary. Today's widely available treatment approaches have failed to incorporate more than four decades of knowledge from genetic, neuroscience, and clinical research. In addition, only a small proportion of people with substance use problems ever receive any treatment. Until now, there has not been a comprehensive conceptual framework to guide the development and implementation of an alternative system of care.

Comment

Baclofen

RedThread12;1072702 wrote: I talked to a man in Norman, Oklahoma who took himself off suboxone and wellbutrin with high-dose baclofen. He talked his doctor into prescribing up to OA's highest dosage (275 mg/day). I asked him to speak with his doctor to find out if he would take referrals. Waiting to hear. In the meantime, my D.O. will write up to 80 mg/day. I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma. PM me if that would help.
                  I am also in the Tulsa area. I've read "Heal Thyself" and have tried unsuccessfully to talk several Tulsa doctors into exploring this drug as a possible cure. Have you made any progress or found any doctor in this area who is open to prescribing Baclofen for alcoholics?
                  Please advise.
                  TXTNT622@AOL.COM

Comment

I've emailed you, TXT.
                    "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Dr. Levin's contact info:

He's in Chicago, Illinois. (CST) You can reach him at his office during standard work hours.

Work #: 312-236-6675

He's a nice guy. He takes every call, even if he's busy. He will likely set up a time for an appointment for you. His fees are on a sliding scale and that is something you can speak honestly with him about. I would also encourage you to be open and honest about what's going on.
                      He is, in my experience, extremely trustworthy, generous and kind. I've been speaking with him on the phone for more than a year.
                      The first couple of times I called I was drunk, because he used to ask that we call him at home in the evenings. The time difference was such that, well, that's just the way it was going to happen! He was still completely open to talking to me, very understanding and gentle. I owe him my new life, just as much as any of the others that have helped me get here!

If you're lurking and you'd like more information, you can PM me, or Redhead77 or Rudyb. There are many, many others too.

Comment

Fresh Start

Yep, Reggie, this wonderful Doctor in Perth, Dr George O'Neill, has battled on in Perth saving lives of many different addicts. His main aim has been to introduce Naltrexone to this field.......and I must say has had a multitude of problems even trying to do that! He also uses Naltrexone "implants" , obviously by- passing the problem of non compliance of taking meds everyday.

I know, from another member of MWO, that his clinic also prescribes HDB to patients. This man has been dogged by bureaucracy since he began his clinic....but has refused to lie down. It , I think, has been hampered by both medical people and the government of this country. And that was just with Naltrexone! Anyways, that's another story.

But yes, this clinic is certainly worth a visit. A man of vision and great courage. He is certainly worth "googling" just to see his entire humbleness in helping others, under extreme duress.

Missy

Comment

I love this thread. 'course, I like 'em all...

There are a couple of areas/regions missing still that I know about but don't have the specifics on yet. In New England there is a rehab that prescribes bac, but not generally. (It's a sad story...but I'll get into that later.) Bottom line is that if you are thinking about this route, it would pay to educate yourself about bac and specifically ask for it if you want it.

There are definitely addiction docs in New York and Baltimore prescribing. I don't know much more than that, but would encourage you to simply call and ask. I don't think it'll be that hard anymore, honestly.

Where else? Someone on here recently posted, but I can't remember from where... hmmm. Well, I'll update later.

Cheers!

Comment

Clinic in Toronto

[QUOTE=NoWayOut;1134747]No Canadian Doc's yet?]

Doctors at the Addiction Medicine Clinic of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto do prescribe Baclofen. I know that for a fact because I'm a patient of that clinic.

Three weeks ago I was a hopeless full blown alcoholic, within a couple of weeks thanks to Baclofen the obsession of alcohol was just...gone!

Baclofen does wonders!

Comment

[quote]baclofan;1221578 wrote:
                              Originally posted by NoWayOut View Post
                              No Canadian Doc's yet?]

Doctors at the Addiction Medicine Clinic of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto do prescribe Baclofen. I know that for a fact because I'm a patient of that clinic.

Three weeks ago I was a hopeless full blown alcoholic, within a couple of weeks thanks to Baclofen the obsession of alcohol was just...gone!

Baclofen does wonders!
                              Hi Baclofan and :welcome:

That's so amazingly awesome! I really really want to hear more about your experience. What are the chances that you'll tell us?

Thanks for coming around!
                              :l
                              Ne
                              (Love the name!)

Comment

Hi Eva,

:thanks:

I've posted some of my experience on Consolidated Baclofen Success Thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X