Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's another Fri 13th coming up in March. :eek-new:

Comment

Hey Pie, you're right!! Had a music lesson on Wednesday the 11th this month, set up another for the 11th next month, which is a Wednesday, but the thought never occurred!
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Hi All,

It is strange how our brain and forget about AL. I have been around so many people today drinking. And it just does not bother me that I aint drinking. I know it and everyone around me knows that I dont drink ! Yesterday I jokingly asked my wife wanna grab a beer while drinking in front of a licquer shop. It was a joke but then we did asked me Do you want to drink ! She even admitted I used to cry so much when you used to drink. It kinda felt good not to have booze and not lying to her and more importantly to myself.

10 to 12 years back I was started my carrier and I recall during that time I read a book my steven covey : 7 Habit of highly effective people. I recall I was quite affected by the book and I ahd adopted several principles in my life after getting inspiration from that book. Now 12 - 15 years on here I was a drunk with all my life on one side and booze on the other side. And it came to point that I had to choose : Life or Boooze. So glad I chose life. And while living life I kinda owed myself to in a way go back in time (that state of mind ) and restart. so I am reading the same book again. I brings back good memories and also how I used used feel that time ( in early 20's that I have full life in front of me !).

Today thats not the case. Recovering from the alcoholism has been the most challenging yet eye opening experience. It was not only about quitting AL it was also about ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY. To family, work, life. IT was about being HONEST with myself.

My mind feels fresh but my body today is still not in fit shape. Knee is recovering and I am getting this stange neck pain from time to time which reminds me I need to take of myself. Need to get back in shape, excercise, lose weight, staring paying attention to how I look, become fit and in a younger ! Its no longer I ahve full life ahead of my. Its more about lets make up best for the time I have. For I have been lucky to crawl out of the den of AL and lets make life full of it.

Just felt like sharing my thoughts. you guys take care !!
        Rahul
        --------------------------------------------
        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
        Rebooting ... done ...
        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Hello long termers! I'm a Grandma to a beautiful grand daughter. She is now 11 days old and perfect. I've been mia helping my kids. Staying strong, life is too precious to miss one day. Every little wiggle, every little coo is more precious than gold. I don't even have to try anymore. (Thank God) :sohappy:

Comment

Congratulations Cher! What better reason to stay the course
            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Congrats Cher
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Thanks, I finally feel like my old self but with a beautiful precious little one that renews the beauty of the world around us. I can't wait to see the world through her beautiful little brown eyes. And I can do it now with dignity and grace. I'm so very thankful.

Comment

I was checking out the mod threads not because I want to mod,I just wanted to gauge my own progress. Not to sound self righteous but there doesn't seem to be too many success stories. I have to wonder how an alcoholic can rationalize drinking. None of the stories pointed towards social drinking, which is how I'd rate moderation a success. Anyway it was a good exercise.
                  Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

TJ,
                    I couldn't agree more. I was among this group for almost a year, and it now hard to see the anxiety, guilt and depression that is rampant among them and it gets blamed on EVERYTHING EXCEPT ALCOHOL! I have heard the pounding heads blamed on the SUGAR in the wine. Anytime you see the word "only" in front of a quantity of AL on this site, you are seeing justification for using. (I ONLY had 4 beers and a couple shots). It is a world of denial and I hate it for them. They think WE are miserable sots for abstaining, but I have a news flash. I've NEVER been happier and more well-adjusted in my life than I am now. NO struggle. If they could only break free for 100 days, they would see such a change.

I've been around for over 6 years here. I have never seen ONE case of successful, long term moderation. NOT ONE. Allow me to clarify what moderation is according to the 'Book'. 14 units per week for a male and 7 units per week for a female. You will see the term 'moderation' BENT and distorted mercilessly. They say, 'I am moderating to MY standards'. Well, whatever...let's see how long THAT moderation lasts. Then you will hear that they are practicing HARM REDUCTION. Ok...that's fine, let's kill ourselves in a more CONTROLLED way. The end is the same. I know because I spoke this language myself. I think there are 2 sure signs that you're an alcoholic. #1 is when you try to stop and realize you can't. #2 Is when you decide to moderate. It won't work. It can't work.
                    Why?
                    On this site, moderation is advocated using those high powered (unproven) Rx's. The jury is still out on whether or not they work LONG TERM. If you are trying moderation using willpower alone, what happens after we have a couple drinks? We lose that will power. We RELAX everything, including our standards. When I was doing this, I ALWAYS felt deprived and wanting more. If I had 2 one night, that meant I couldn't have ANY the next night. If I did have one the next night, then I had to really watch it so I could have some on the weekend! It was just a constant state of NEVER being happy with where I was. I might throw a third rule in there, too...when you start making rules for AL....which adds #4, then you break those rules. I never drank harder than the year I moderated. It is 1000 times easier to abstain. I have been on both sides of this war. You can't moderate addiction.

Thank you for your observation, TJ. I hate to see those folks wasting their precious lives chasing the next chance to drink. You can't see it until you are out of it, but breaking free of addiction is a wonderful place to be.

Cherokeer, congratulations on grand motherhood! We'd love to see a photo of those little brown eyes!! Hugs to you both!!
                    MindPeace, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Birdie. I'd add another qualification to your definition. 3: if you think for even one minute about your drink count then you have a problem. My wife is a social drinker. She can have a drink at a party and care less if she has another that night that week or that month. In fact she never worries about a drink count she could care less. I know without any doubt that if I pick up a drink I'm not stopping until I pass out. Peace

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Greetings everyone!

Chero, CONGRATS on your grandma status!!!!
                        You get to truly enjoy every precious moment with a clear head & heart - awesome :hug:

Byrdie & TJ - I've long thought moderation is just not possible, at least it isn't for me. Why mess with a good thing, huh? AL is just so damn unimportant in the big scheme of things. I don't miss it & will not invite it back into my life
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, 100 dayers...

Congratulations, Chero! How exciting for you and your family.

Just swinging by - not much to add.

Pav.

Comment

I been reading there a Byrdie lady about these parts with 1500 DAYS AF!!!!
                            Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Byrdie is rocking the house with her 1500 AF days :welldone::yay:
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks, yall! I couldnt have done it without you! It feels really good! Xo, B
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X