You know you're an alcoholic when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You buy a huge jug of vinegar just to have something in which to hide the vodka.
    Picking dead fruit flies out of your wine doesn't warrant a second thought.
    Having hubby the cop tell you about a woman they pulled over who had gotten drunk on mouthwash and having a light bulb go on over your head (where has this been all my life??), only to try it the next time you ran out of wine too soon.
    Being all smug thinking nobody can smell it on you when one of the stepkids announces "Something smells like alcohol"
    Filling every 2 ounce bottle you own with vodka so you can take it on the plane.
    Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
    That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
    Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
    Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

At one point you feel suicidal and imagine how it would feel to have a rope squeezed around your neck and it's a thought that give's you some comfort. >>

So many of these are tragically funny, and some are just tragic. {{{{Johnny}}}}, a close friend of my stepdaughter did just that. He got into a major fight with his friends the weekend before because he had jumped onto their moving car while drunk. Those kind of things had been happening with him more and more frequently, and they were getting fed up. The autopsy revealed that he had been drinking heavily when he committed suicide.

To give you an idea of the kind of kid he was, when the wife of the president of his middle school underwent chemo for breast cancer, Ty had the whole class shave their heads and wear pink shirts to school in support (it was an all-boy school). On the anniversary of 9/11, he got up before school and left Hershey kisses at each seat in the cafeteria. Once Clare (stepdaughter) was having a crappy day, and she went out to her car to find a bag of Gummy Bears, her favorite, and a note from Ty telling her to call him later and let him know how she was doing.

I truly believe if he hadn't been drunk, he would never have done such a crazy, impulsive thing.

Sorry to be such a bummer. Clare left for college this morning (Ty never will), and went to his grave beforehand to say good-bye, so it's weighing heavily on my mind. As a mom, and as a drunk.
      Tyler Ryan 1991 - 2010 - Obituary - Tributes.com
      AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
      "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Your significant other smiles and winks at you in the morning and says "I wonder if we woke up the whole house having sex last night," and you have no memory of having sex at all.
        AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
        "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Pride before Fall;939664 wrote: At one point you feel suicidal and imagine how it would feel to have a rope squeezed around your neck and it's a thought that give's you some comfort. >>

So many of these are tragically funny, and some are just tragic. {{{{Johnny}}}}, a close friend of my stepdaughter did just that. He got into a major fight with his friends the weekend before because he had jumped onto their moving car while drunk. Those kind of things had been happening with him more and more frequently, and they were getting fed up. The autopsy revealed that he had been drinking heavily when he committed suicide.

To give you an idea of the kind of kid he was, when the wife of the president of his middle school underwent chemo for breast cancer, Ty had the whole class shave their heads and wear pink shirts to school in support (it was an all-boy school). On the anniversary of 9/11, he got up before school and left Hershey kisses at each seat in the cafeteria. Once Clare (stepdaughter) was having a crappy day, and she went out to her car to find a bag of Gummy Bears, her favorite, and a note from Ty telling her to call him later and let him know how she was doing.

I truly believe if he hadn't been drunk, he would never have done such a crazy, impulsive thing.

Sorry to be such a bummer. Clare left for college this morning (Ty never will), and went to his grave beforehand to say good-bye, so it's weighing heavily on my mind. As a mom, and as a drunk.
          Tyler Ryan 1991 - 2010 - Obituary - Tributes.com
          And we wonder what we missed because we were'nt ourselves when they were crying out to us. I've had my own Ty, PR.
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Pride...So very sad, such a handsome young man. Thank you for sharing. :l
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Rereading this thread and thought that I would add somemore.

You know when your an alke when you stay at a place during a hip hop concert even though that you hate hip hop because they have jello shots for a dollar.

This didn't happen to me.

When someone puts different stuff in your beer (different brand of beer, one tuna water) and the person continues to drink it.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

when you are out of booze for the evening watching tv with your wife and she complains about a pain in her shoulder. you offer her one of your xanax, knowing it will put her to sleep so you can slip away and buy another bottle...just happened to me last night

Comment

Another, panicking when you think that you are going to run out of beer at home and when your at home you sip it so a six pack can be enough but yet, your AL mind think that its not enough.
                  I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

When you wake up flat on your back on your very cold marble bathroom floor near the commode in a space that would barely hold you. You don't remember falling but you are very sore for days and just thankful that you didn't crack your head open or do any permanent damage to your back! I was close to my bottom here, but had to have one more rip-roaring weekend before deciding to seek help. So lucky to have found MWO!

Comment

Well Trapped,
                      Did it work?
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

when you are sitting next to a lady i an AA meeting and she tells who her hubby draged the spare mattress out into the loung for her to sleep on cause he was sick of her pissing the bed. AND this type story, whilste sad, no longer shocks you, been there, wet that!
                        AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

You know that you drink too much when your house looks like this.

Comment

Choochie;992526 wrote: When you wake up flat on your back on your very cold marble bathroom floor near the commode in a space that would barely hold you. You don't remember falling but you are very sore for days and just thankful that you didn't crack your head open or do any permanent damage to your back! I was close to my bottom here, but had to have one more rip-roaring weekend before deciding to seek help. So lucky to have found MWO!
                            Chooch, your story reminds me of a time I was on a business trip. It was a cruise in reward for sales achievement. All the company big wigs were there. I got so drunk the first night that I fell down more than once on the dance floor in the bar. Then when I got back to the cabin, I fell in the itsy bitsy bathroom and hit my head on the sink. I had a massive black eye for the rest of the week long cruise. I was mortified and wanted nothing more than to go home, but I couldn't. I hid as much as possible but could not avoid every dinner, etc. with the big wigs. I was mortified. I kept right on drinking though - through the remainder of the cruise and well beyond. I didn't think I was an alcholic. :H (this was NOT a one time event - far from it. This sort of thing became more the norm)

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

My God. It's a wonder we're all alive to tell the tale
                              If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                              Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

When you alcoholic neighbors choose you as the subject of their welcome wagon based on the number of beer cans in your trash. That actually happened.

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
                                - Vernon Howard

Comment

Working...
                                X