Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daisy- you made me laugh...

SS- such a cool idea having a place to come without guilt.

Good day to all. I am trying to make an effort to do less technology and more life these days.

Comment

Kradle123;1659708 wrote:
      My Primary tool right now is focusing exclusively on health...health and then more health...Using Juicing, Using Oils, Using Hypno...getting into a clear, consistant routine of Lemon, honey ginger water in teh morning...Oils when I feel bad...Juicing at least once a day...big soups with lots of veggies and broth which I graze on all day....I guess you could say I'm becoming very Orally Fixated!!
      But really, it's working...I'm simply too darn preoccupied to buy a bottle of Rum and a Schwepps...
      Kradle - Me too!!! I just started trying to preoccupy my mind and time with developing a super healthy lifestyle. There is so much info out there that it is easy to dig in and pass a lot of time in a productive way...I love brothy soups, vegetables, teas and I've even started "oil pulling" with coconut oil... I would love it if you could inbox me any tips you might be able to share... I am a health-newbie

I am OBVIOUSLY not a newbie here... But I love what you said, SoberSoul, that you will not give up on this journey and this thread even if it takes years... I am in too!! I keep struggling - but each time I come back here, I dust myself off a little quicker than if I stayed away from MWO due to the embarrassment and shame... I. REFUSE.TO.GIVE.UP this time!!

Happy Tuesday, ya'll! :l
      God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

I've been oil pulling and I love the way it makes my teeth whiter. Hubby likes the way it shuts me up for twenty minutes. (just kidding).

For the first 30 days, I am going easy on myself. No expectations. On day 30 I will start trying to slowly incorporate all the health conscious stuff I need in order to be really robust and healthy. Every time I try to do too much, I let myself down, then beat up on myself and everything falls apart.
        "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
        Lao-Tzu

Comment

That's what I am like too Sobersoul. Too many goals at once and when I don't meet one I feel disappointed ......gonna concentrate on being sober for now and when other stuff happens, then count it as a bonus!
          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

I have written hundreds of game plans, journal entries, lists of goals, resolutions and to do lists. While I am drinking none of these items gets permanently applied to my life. I am an all or nothing person; that's why I either don't drink or drink daily. I have to accept that about myself. I normally would either try to make all the changes at once or plan that on day 30 I will start this new habit, on day 60 I will begin to incorporate this healthy practice, on day 100 this will happen. These are still milestones and I plan on making new plans and positive changes on those days but I will decide what those changes will be on the day of the milestone.

Stuff I want to permanently incorporate into my new life are:
            meditation/chanting (help Kradle!!!)
            half hour of rebounding a day
            oil pulling
            spiritual reading
            journaling
            eating more fruits and veggies
            religiously supplementing
            partial elimination of meat in my diet
            knitting, keyboarding and other hobbies
            gardening

Now I do one or more of these items every day but not all of them every day. Eventually I want to incorporate most of these practices into my daily life but Rome was not built in a day.

I've learned to focus on one thing at a time and my sobriety comes way ahead of everything else on the list.

I am 57 years old and by the time I am 60 I will be the woman I was born to be. Then I will, hopefully, have another 30 years to help others and to reach my spiritual potential.

Patience is a learned skill.
            Lao-Tzu

Comment

SS and Daisy,
              I kind of went at this the opposite. About 6 years ago I decided to go Vegetarian to try and get off BP meds. Well after 6 months (by golly) it worked; blood pressure back to normal. Cool side affects: lost weight and felt healthier. BP consistantly runs around 129/68, cholestoral is 184, blood sugar runs around 84 and I've lost 30lbs since I started this journey 1/2009. Then I got involved with pet rescue and watched the movie "Earthlings". Those two things made me chose compassion over killing and to become a Vegan. Still that nagging alcohol was stealing my evenings so for the past 6 years I've struggled with having a healthy eating lifestyle but a VERY unhealthy drinking lifestyle. Drinking is so contrary to a healthy lifestyle the guilt was overwhelming. I could tell myself I wasn't hurting any animals though. :/ Off and on these past 6 years, I've tired to quit (no luck for very long) and I've checked in here to just look around. A few weeks ago I decided to register so I could respond to threads. What an amazing thing that has been. I finally feel supported but at the same time accountable to my new friends here at MWO. This is my 9th day AF with no slips and I feel so happy about this choice and my health. Don't get me wrong not drinking is so hard for me, but I feel better and feel more like I can do it this time with your help. Thank you everyone!

Comment

Im a bum! i swore i'd just come here when the going got tough but i didn't,drinking yet again,scared of withdrawing,scared of dealing with life sober,it's hard,i've let hubs,kids,work,myself,my friends,here down,just cannot get it straight
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

O.k,this is stupid,but we all swore we'd come here to talk it out,i feel normal buzzed! no allergies,no chronic fatigue,no pain,no depression,ugh this isnt right
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly, This is the right place for all of us, drinking on not. We are all here to hold each other up in times like these. Forgive yourself and move on. We love you no matter what!

Comment

There are plenty of threads where tough love is used but this is not one of them. We, universally, unequivocally, absolutely, completely support each other without resorting to the kick in the pants that we all know we sometimes deserve. Tough love has it's place... just not here.

Pauly, you can have as many hiccups as it takes for you to hit the wall and see the light and you must KEEP coming here no matter what. We WILL beat this!! We WILL support each other. But it goes without saying that we hope for and wish you success. You know, it will happen one day if you keep giving it a true, honest try.

Ginger, so happy that you're racking up the days. I really need to get my BP down before next Wednesday as that's D-Day for me. My doctor gave me three months to work on it. I don't want meds. I hope that the future holds exactly your lifestyle (sans alcohol) for me. I am shying away from meat as I get older. It just doesn't sit well in my belly. You've got the eating under control and now that you're on your way to beating the beast, the world is at your feet, wide open and anything is possible.

I am remembering how I celebrated my longest period of abstinence ever. Last year I managed to abstain for thirty days and joked about celebrating it with a drink.. even started a thread about it.. well that same night I drank wine and the rest is history.

How stupid was that? I eventually slunk back here after months away. This thread eliminates the run, hide and avoid period we all go through when we fail. If I fail (and I pray I won't) I promise to come back here the next day.

Love every one of you for your courage, conviction and honesty. xoxo
                      Lao-Tzu

Comment

Thanks SS and all for the encouraging words! I now sit in front of the fire and went to make a cup of tea and found a small mason jar of chardonnay I left here 2 weeks ago...so far so good as I don't crave it. I plan to stay strong but as you said one step at a time.
                        Ginger I too became a vegan 2 years ago and wine didn't taste the same for the first few weeks then I drank enough of it to fix that problem! Wine drinking just doesn't fit in with my otherwise healthy lifestyle so I share your feelings...It defeats the purpose right?
                        I want to say to all of you that being there for each other will help us through. Understand bkyogagirl's stance as well...sometimes you need a break from thinking about it all!
                        Am wishing you were all here with me in front of the fire with tea and conversation but I will take this thread and feel blessed to have it and you!:thanks:

Comment

Good morning all.... Just checking in before I start my day. Hope you all have a great AF day. It's supposed to be in the 80s here today. I love the warm weather!

Thanks for being out there!

Comment

Good morning, fellow fighters!!

I had a good talk with my husband last night and he finally understands my alcohol problem for what it really is and has promised to support me and even offered to abstain occasionally. I went into great detail about how I explained it to him on my Granny Gets Sober blog.

I hadn't ever given much thought to whether he really was aware when I abstained. I've been doing this alone (except for MWO) for so long that it is really a relief that he is now on board and I have the support of other sobriety bloggers. Our army is forming and you people are on the front lines with me. We are in the midst of the battle united in our determination to beat the beast taking a few steps forward, a few back and then surging forward to our eventual victory.

While hubby can be supportive, he will never have the invisible scars and PTSD that we are surely going to heal from together, united as battle weary heroes.

I am big on symbolism for some strange reason.
                            Lao-Tzu

Comment

daisy45;1660631 wrote: Too many goals at once and when I don't meet one I feel disappointed ......gonna concentrate on being sober for now and when other stuff happens, then count it as a bonus!
                              This is a big problem for me. Once I get a day or two of not drinking under my belt I feel so good I set all kinds of other goals. Eventually, I slip up on one of them and that, in a weird way, gives me permission to drink again. I slipped up on my diet, or exercise, or whatever, so I might as well throw in the towel and drink. Ridiculous, but it's a pattern that happens over and over. I need to get it firmly established in my head that I don't have the option of drinking ever. No matter what. It's off the table.
                              You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Yep, one thing at a time. We drinkers tend to be a little over self-critical compared to the normies. It's really hard not to have a host of changes being worked on at once. I want immediate gratification. I want to go from being a lazy, slovenly, procrastinator to a super-star health freak all in one day.

Ya right...
                                Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                                X