~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

I have horrendous allergies. Even the Goldendoodle puppy causes some problems. Cats can put me in the ER. I am also asthmatic but not exercise induced thankfully. I use albuterol inhaler and asmanex (inhaled steroid) and haven’t had a major event in a few years. 2016 was the last. It was bad. I eat very cleanly and maintain an anti inflammatory diet. I am always looking for strategies that I can employ and networking with others has been extremely helpful. I do have a low BMI due mostly to all the triathlon training I do and that helps as well. Well, off to bed and I am sure I will have more to add regarding allergies, asthma, diet, etc.
    “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

I think allergies are the curse of modern living.

I am trying intermittent fasting to try and reduce insulin/blood glucose spikes in my body. One theory is that the more time you fast, the more time your body has to rest and reset without so many inflammatory spikes that happen when we eat. It can be done in a way that doesnt cause further weight loss if that is not required. Other benefits include less time/money spent on prepping/buying food. I like that as I can manage 2 healthy meals a day but somehow 3 is beyond me :haha: I also dont find it as overwhelming as conventional "healthy eating" diets.

Well done on 2 years sobriety which is fantastic!

Sorry your GD is causing you some allergies Techie. Not sure if you can get it over there, but I used a product called Petal Cleanse. It just needed putting on a cloth and wiping over the pets body. It helps with the reduction of any dander which comes from the skin rather than the hair that is shed and that is generally what causes allergens.

Hope you all get some good sleep

Comment

Thanks for the info on the e-bikes molly. I might just have to do some research on them, as they sound like a lot of fun!

Not much happening here, but we are expecting severe thunderstorms this afternoon. Could be interesting...

So grateful that I ditched the booze, and am looking forward to another 24 hours of freedom.

Comment

5:23am in Alberta, I'll have 24 more please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these friends have joined me for 24 hours of wellness:
          [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] mollyka [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24679]Mulburry[/MENTION] [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION]

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
          Last edited by abcowboy; August 12, 2023, 06:27 AM.
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Things seem to be working fine today, don't think you folks are causing any of the glitches across the threads.
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Morning everybody....my other half (Joe) is swanning around Europe for the next 10 days so I'm home alone and (whispers....) I'm loving it!!! Eat when I want , sleep when I want, shop when I want....have to go to Dublin for a few days to see the sprogs and the grandkids but other than that...nothing lined up....heaven!! Mind you...a few years back it'd have been my licence to have a 10 day binge....how sad is that!?

My (so far) only allergy is hay fever and my all consuming passion since I retired last year is gardening....so...go figure!!!!

Now, off to the couch to read my book
              Have a good 24 all!
              Oh and deffo Judy....look at the bikes couldn't recommend them more!
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Off for a lovely beach walk. I'll take another day!

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends. Thanks for the rec Starts. Another 24 for me. Off on a seven miles hike (loop). Rather difficult last year in 101 degree heat. The four liter hydration pack in ready. I wish you all the best day possible. Blessings x

“Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Originally posted by satz123
                    Morning all just past 6am here and wide awake. FFS!!

The Saga of Young Satz - Episode 380

So YS got it into his head he'd love to go hiking & camping alone to the Wicklow mountains. Something he said he has always wanted to do.
                    Day 1 - his Dad dropped him and we had a video diary of the all day hike he did and the pitching of the tiny tent. He had taken Antabuse that morning .... I had watched him.
                    Day 2 - some texts but I could feel something was up. No contact from the afternoon.

I was right ............ he drank. I do not know where or how much .

Day 3 - I told him to get home ASAP & ring his sponsor not to let it spiral out of control again. Yesterday I was working but he stayed sober (as far as I could tell ) helped by
                    Librium I had held back from the last binge (for withdrawals) .

I've told him I cannot keep catching him when he falls and that the only reason I do it is:
                    a) I can't watch him in a drunken state - it's just awful to live with
                    b) He is lovely guy when sober
                    C) He is starting a job in a University on 24th of this month.

So he was having dinner when I got home from work but then in his room from then on. I now suspect he was drinking.
                    We've been living 10 years with this ...... the tiniest thing will alert us to knowing he is drinking.

So the end of this story is that he loves his active life when sober. But .... once away from routine and us being around he will drink.

If he had taken the Antabuse as prescribed I would believe him when he says he REALLY wants to quit.
                    But yesterday I finally realised HE DOES NOT HAVE THAT OVERWHELMING DESIRE TO WANT TO STOP DRINKING that those of us who succeeded had.

So next steps O' Wise ones ?
                    He has nothing to lose by drinking....he knows you will eventually forgive...he won't lose his lifestyle, you will 'mind' him...so why not (in his head) just have a bit of a binge when he feels like it? I've been there and worn that t-shirt.....when I truly understood I was throwing away all hope of a normal life should I continue drinking...that was the catalyst to stop....I would have lost my marriage, my kids.....everything....he knows he won't
                    As an outsider I have noticed that everytime a job rears its head he relapses....it is possible maybe that alcohol has diminished his self confidence so much that he's unknowingly terrified? Maybe a less ambitious return to work plan may be easier for him? A job in a shop or outdoor work like gardening ?

If you think of SO many people (including myself.....and Kev!) who arrive at this site wanting to be able to 'control' their drinking....he's living the dream in their eyes....no long term consequences....

Morning all!
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Morning.
                      I'm so sorry [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION].. here :hug:
                      I agree with molly, as we have all discussed this before, I honesty don't know if I could turf out my child.

Agree also on the job front as being a trigger. Whats maybe different is that this wasn't a spur of the moment decision, it was planned in advance.. alone, camping, how long was he planning it for?
                      Unfortunately your in a precarious position now satz, you might get long stints of soberness again, he's definitely happier sober. But forever... probably not. He doesn't want it more than anything else. Can you live like this? Did you chat to his sponsor.

Was reading back, [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION] your a world of knowledge!

I get an itchy left arm sometimes always the same place. I'm sure it's food related but it doesn't bother me too much so I havnt looked into it.
                      AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

I'm so sorry about YS [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]. It must be torture watching your son doing this to himself. As others have mentioned, starting a new job does appear to be a trigger. As molly stated, maybe it's a lack of confidence and the fear of the unknown that has him reaching for the booze to blot out those feelings. I hope that you can get him to talk to his sponsor, and maybe get him back on track.

Techie, I'd have a hard time doing a 7 mile hike in cool weather, much less in 100? heat You amaze me!

24 more please...

Comment

5:20am in Alberta, 24 for me and everyone else who needs them please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these friends have joined me for 24 hours of wellness:
                          [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] mollyka [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

It's time for breakfast/brunch lol

Comment

Enjoy the time to yourself Molly, do exactly as you want even if it's just laying around being lazy haha.

So sorry about YS [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]. I have no idea what suggestions to give you, I just know in all my years of drunken foolishness Bubba never once threatened to leave me or throw me out and I know I couldn't do the same to her or any of my kids. But that's easy to say when I'm not going through the difficult times you are. Hopefully he'll get back on the wagon and work at staying on.

Our eldest daughter (from Vancouver) is flying into Edmonton today then driving out to spend a few days with us before heading over to her mom's. It's going to be great to see her and enjoy some time with her.

Comment

Hats off to you, Techie! You're living up to your moniker: "Intrepid Techie"

Satz, I feel for you and your family. I think you have done everything in your power to help your son, but he hasn't been able to finally let go. Yet. I'm sorry, I have no advice to offer. I think everyone here knows that the decision has to be made by the person who needs to change. We can't make it for them. :hug: Seems like he has made good progress tho, and that is at least something.

24 more for all of us here, please and thank you.
                                Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X