Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: September Army!!!

Evening all.
    Was back in work today 10-6 then up to mother who was dosing in bed and not up to talking much.
    It's extremely difficult to converse 1:1 with someone with dementia. Same questions over & over .... I answered over & over as I ate her Jelly Babies
    I'll bring MrS in future to keep the talking going :thumbsup:

Comment

Evening,
      Could you read her the paper or something [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]? she probably enjoys the company, whatever your talking about..

Great idea JC.. Youll be a new woman!

I am supposed to be in town 'on the lash' now. A few cancelled, so I jumped on the bandwagon. Im just bone lazy, thats all.
      Moved some furniture around today, the excitement, I had to sit down for several minutes..

Night all.
      AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Good morning everyone. Hope you had a nice run RC. I enjoyed the hike with my friend and we had a nice catch up. Off on another one today. How are you feeling otherwise JC? Gaining any of the weight back. It’s hard Satz, but it’s good that you can spend the time with her. How is your training going Mary? Good few missing, check in if ye get a chance.

Comment

Morning quiet ones,
          [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION], my heart goes out to you, sweetheart. Taking Mr. S is a good idea. For some reason when my mum's mind went south she could still answer crossword questions ( we had to fill the answers in for her) and could play a decent Scrabble hand.

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]......I was surprised how busy it was in this dressmaker's place. Its a wee gold mine I reckon.

[MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION]........I'm feeling pretty good. Stinker of a cold didn't go onto my chest and I'm eating well. Just want to get some weight onto my face its looking a bit haggard.

Mr. JC back at work tomorrow. We've done pretty well with only a few petty squabbles despite the fact we're not used to spending this much time together and having work men in and out of the house. It'll be nice just to have the house to myself and Bess tomorrow.
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good morning Army friends--Mr A a bit rough today and now asleep on the couch (him not me)
            Went out for a run early this morning helps me cope so much better with his illness than when I tried coping with the help of going back on the booze.
            So grateful for sober nights and unhungover days.

Comment

Afternoon troops. It is quiet, innit, JC?
              [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION] - lovely run, and at the end popped into the church that was having various fundraising stalls for local community groups - including the musical drama group i'm directing. Lots of cake and bacon sarnies. Came away reeking of bacon!
              [MENTION=22839]brit[/MENTION] - hope rest does Mr A some good and he awakes feeling better :hug: Yes - a run can help just bring a sense of calm/stability/clarity/sense of being able to cope better when things are stressful. Drink is a BRILLIANT way to escape. But SHITE in having to actually deal with anything.

AT molls sleep better last night?
              [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] - how's it with YS?

Right, done a wee run, some prep and now off to rehearsals.

Laters peeps -

Comment

I hear ya on conversing with people suffering from dementia [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION], the father-in-law's is progressing much faster and his meds don't seem to be doing much to help him anymore. There's no reasoning with him now, he get's a notion in his head and he can't let it go, no matter how right or wrong it is. We have an appointment with his psychiatrist in mid-October to have him declared mentally incompetent so that Bubba's Enduring Power of Attorney will take full force and effect. It's sad really how these brain disorders change people so drastically....
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Afternoon,
                  sorry to hear about your father in law Cowboy.. these no happy stories when it comes to dementia. :hug:

Training going well [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION], just to keep injury free now for 5 weeks is my goal. You have probably done 1000 marathons with all the hiking! its a bit windy out there now, but lovely sunshine.

Enjoy the rehearsals RC.. [MENTION=22839]brit[/MENTION], thats tough on you both. Hope he'll get through it quickly..

Agree [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION], brought some stuff to get altered a few weeks back and the shop was chockers. I still have my own sewing matching and take it out every now and then, stroke it, dream about making something fabulous, then I put it away again.. The effort in making something, then you stroll into pennys and its there for €2.50!

Oddly quite in this house, kids away at various events. its weird.
                  Last edited by IamMary; September 23, 2018, 10:42 AM.
                  AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Its the last episode of The Bodyguard tonight. Have to say its a long, long time since I've enjoyed a series on the BBC as much.

I got a sewing machine eons ago..........think I plugged it in twice played about with it and shoved it under the stairs never to be used again.

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION].............lovely to see you as always and so sorry for your troubles. I'll forever count my blessings that my Granny lived to a 100 years old and while forgetful it was the everyday stuff that everyone does.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Sorry not bein round - over-run with family - talk tomorrow xx
                      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
                        Afternoon,
                        I still have my own sewing matching and take it out every now and then, stroke it, dream about making something fabulous, then I put it away again.. The effort in making something, then you stroll into pennys and its there for €2.50!
                        :hahaha:

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
                          I hear ya on conversing with people suffering from dementia [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION], the father-in-law's is progressing much faster and his meds don't seem to be doing much to help him anymore. There's no reasoning with him now, he get's a notion in his head and he can't let it go, no matter how right or wrong it is. We have an appointment with his psychiatrist in mid-October to have him declared mentally incompetent so that Bubba's Enduring Power of Attorney will take full force and effect. It's sad really how these brain disorders change people so drastically....
                          Yes Cowboy. Meds don't help - just slow the progression. The only way around it is to agree with the person. I know it's very difficult thing to do.
                          I see it in work too. The men especially seem to get quite aggressive - but I think it comes from frustration more than anything.
                          I think somewhere deep down thy know there is something wrong but cannot verbalise it.

Comment

Good morning everyone. Horrible disease and affects so many families. Just been out for walk with doggies and must get ready for work. Talk later.

Comment

It is a horrible disease for sure - my mum was really lost to me for the last couple of years - the odd moments of lucidity - but that nearly made things worse - she always knew who I was and for that I was grateful - but so sad and probably my worst dread as I get a bit older for either me or Joe

Mad weekend - was babysitting overnight Sat for wee Éabha - loved it but exhausted!!!
                              Off to work now shortly - talk later xx
                              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Morning lovelies,
                                No workmen, no deliveries and Mr JC back to work. Bliss
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X