No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy! The shit has officially hit the fan with work and I'm running with my hair on fire. Part of me wants another way to check out and "reward" myself. I remember trying to put my finger on why I drank a long time ago, and looking back now, I see that there were a lot of reasons. Most of it boiled down to not wanting to "deal". And I still have that desire at times, and its really uncomfortable at times. But I also see now that drinking really didn't help all that much - and it didn't offer me anything I can't do myself. I can just decide to go to bed and not do my work or laundry, without the help of alcohol to pass out. I CAN check out whenever I choose to - it's just learning how, and that it IS ok.

Have to run - hope everyone has a solid day. Remember that alcohol is not a prize, it is destructive, poisonous and unnecessary. I am so much happier without it!!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Jvo the guy on the documentary is Louis Theroux, he does loads of really interesting and controversial documentaries, I love his shows! The drink is from Holland and Barrett and its Rochester Organic Mulled Berry Punch, not tried it yet but it sounds good !
      One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering...

Comment

Hi all,
        Hope everyone is having a lovely sober day?

Have as usual read through the posts and can't remember them all to comment!!! I have got myself an AA sponsor (hope its ok to say that on here!?) and am starting to work the 12 steps, feeling really happy as I finally feel I have something positive to aim for

Right off to have dinner, will pop back later
        One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering...

Comment

Roobs, around here, 30 days AF gets you a prize! Here's your hat! :guy: I tell you, they just don't come any more hard-earned than those first 30 days. It really is amazing the changes that can take place during that short amount of time, wouldn't you agree? We are so proud of you! Keep up the great work, I'm sure everyone will join me in saying these are days you never want to have to repeat!

Feeling grateful today, for my many blessings. I wouldn't wish addiction on a dog, but I really believe that life is better and I appreciate things MORE having been thru it. Now I must stay vigilant!
          Hope everyone has a great hump day. Hugs to all, Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Congratulations Roobs on your 30 days :hug:
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wildflower.
            Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
            And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Hi all! Don't have much time but wanted to say hello and Happy Hump Day!

Roobs - CONGRATS on 30 days! YAY!!!

Comment

Roobs,congratulations on 30 days
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Roobs View Post
                  I think we adults could benefit from a tantrum here and there, gets rid of all that pent up frustration and stress.

Day 30 for me
                  You should see me behind the wheel in traffic! I love me road rage. :congratulatory:

Congrats on 30 days! that is pretty amazing when you think about it, and also yuuuooooooge! Great work friend Roobs. :woohoo2:

Yo Kensho. If my hair caught on fire it would be distressing on a few fronts. One would be the expense associated with brochures, websites, phone calls to France selecting then ordering the absolute latest and best quality toupe. So far the Euro sports 5000 all weather fastback model has endured hail storms, lightening, and various end of year parties. Your attitude to work pressures and remembering where booze will take you is
                  fab to hear good buddy. See you at 200!

Love it how y'all check in, even if it's for a second out of your busy days. Kinda like my meditation practice. I do it daily for 6 minutes no matter who, no matter what. Why? Because i know it can train my mind to learn to let go of thoughts that can make me feel down, and know i can stay with thoughts that make me feel good. Not gr8 at it yet, but doing this daily brings me back to the idea and focus that i do have the power and choice to control what i think or not think. This is the doorway to a life of inner peace i reckon.

Day 124.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Evening All,

Brrrrrrr. It's bitter and will get more bitter over night. Schools have a two hour delay (teachers have to report on time . But I like that quiet time without the kids. It's actually nice once in a while.

Wags, thank you for your kind words. We deal with a lot of bs but we do it just as anyone in any job does. I think the things that get to me the most is the amount of testing we do on these kids. It gets frustrating for them, and we start teaching to the test so our district doesn't lose money. That's not the way education should be, and I almost feels as though we should go to jail for caring more about a test than having a creative lesson that the kids have fun with. It's a sin. But we all do what we have to do.

Roobs, congrats on your 30!! Keep it goin'.

Madonna, if AA works for you, then keep doing it. Sometimes we need more than one thing, and I just started back to church, reading devotionals, and praying throughout the day. I can tell you that it makes a huge difference in my life.

I noticed the other night, after the tantrum(s) that the anger and frustrations from the day passed by the next day even though my circumstances didn't change. Nothing changed, but the anger and stuff subsided. I slept it off. That reinforces to me that if and when I have triggers, that if I wait it out, it will pass. I let my thoughts turn into feelings of anger, and I didn't have to do that. It ruined my night. I put a label on my thoughts, and not good labels. I guess this is what I'm trying to notice. And also that thoughts do pass. That's one I won't forget. So for any triggers, my go to tools...sleep (if I can), pray, call someone, post, and eat. I'll add exercise soon.

Kensho, you're so spot on with what you said. Alcohol is not a reward/prize. Its a poison that will hurt us, our relationships, our ability to function. It negatively affects us in every way.

Watched the one video today during lunch NS. We can never drink safely. Why take the risk when we know the result? Everytime we take a risk, there may be a bad result or may not be. Physically, there will always be a bad result. But what happens when something happens that we didn't plan on such as we end up in the hospital, we drink drive and hurt someone or kill someone (just saw a young kid, 22, on the news who is going to jail for killing a little girl. Of course he was under the influence. A beautiful little girl's life is gone because of alcohol. Someone's little girl.

Ok, good night.
                    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Just popping in with a quick hello to everyone and CONGRATULATIONS Roobs on 30! Fantastic. It gets better everyday. :welldone:
                      Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Good Hump day evening nesters,
                        Yep, the Artic air has arrived, Brrrrrr!
                        I hope my young hens have figured out how to stay warm out there - the others always have

Roobs, CONGRATS on your 30 AF days, yay :welldone:
                        Keep going & have no regrets ever!

J-vo, my granddaughter is in kindergarten this year & I hear stories from my daughter almost daily about the shenanigans going on with these 5&6 year old kids - geez! I can't imagine what they will be like by the time they get to high school. Teachers & nurses should be given combat pay sometimes!!!

If anyone else is looking for good dairy free recipes take a look at Go Dairy Free: The Best-Selling Dairy Free Cookbook
                        I baked their chocolate peppermint crinkle cookies tonight - yum

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Roobs! Happy 30th for you! Woohoo! Great job.
                          Very late check in here, sober and all tucked into the nest.
                          Kensho, wise words as always. Celebrations and tragedies, I still have to reshape my brain to not think of al in that way.
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                            See you at 200!
                            See you there G.

I had an absolutely crap day. Sorry to say it, just reporting the news. I'm not drinking, and I don't want to. Just unhappy with a few things. I know it will even out. See y'all tomorrow.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                              I thought I'd be able to check in more rosy but it ends up I was driving a lot, oh well.

Thanks so much for your acknowledgements, I didn't realize it would make feel so warm and fuzzy. A thousand Hugs to all of you!!!

I must get a good night sleep. See you all tomorrow

Comment

^Check in more often not rosy��

Comment

Working...
                                X