Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magical March Madness - Week 3

Hi Everybody!

Well, I am stuck in Columbus, OH for the night.....a tornado blew through here a few hours ago. It took United Airlines...aka....USELESS Airlines 3 hours to get my suitcase.:damn: And yet, if I had been drinking, I probably would have mouthed off to someone.....I had a very sharp tongue in my last drinking days. Glad those days are over.

Papmom-your shopping excursions crack me up. You're a whirlwind of energy for sure.

Jolie-what kind of cake did you bake?

I didn't give up anything for Lent. Hence, I think about food constantly.

Ok, it's off to bed....another wonderful AF Sunday night.

See you in the morning.

Comment

Hey Everyone!!

Home from Florida!! Trip was awesome...just read up on the last week and 2 days worth of posts and am so exhausted!! It's been a long day.....I soooo need to get some rest!! Was just dying to see how you all were and tell you all hi and I thought about you all week....it was so hard not having computer access and to not be able to check in with you all!! UGH!!
      My first vacation ever AF...which brings me to 9 months!! Yea! I was a little nervous going into the trip on what was going to happen...it was pretty much what I expected though...they drank every night...I didn't!! LOL!!!:H
      I'll post more tomorrow...SOOO happy to be back with you all!!!! :l:l
      SD
      "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
      7/29/12

Comment

Good Morning Marchers

Monday already! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

SD - Wow! Lots to celebrate.... 1st AF vacation AND 9 MONTHS AF!!! :yougo: :yougo: :yougo:

Rusty - Being AF makes us more aware of our words and actions, I love never having to wake up with that awful sinking feeling of "oh God, did I really say that..."

Lav - Sounds like another good family day at Chicken- Lav's

Papmom - can I please borrow your Sister when i go shopping.....

I had yesterday with my family including grown up niece and nephews which was good. The food was a pretty yummy unhealthy buffet. There were also lots of chocolate cakes and cookies. I stuck to my commitment for lent and its still 3 weeks till Easter Sunday, oh boy......

Ok the dog need walking and the day embraced, have a happy Monday.
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Wow SD!! So awesome! Good for you! You make me proud, that's for sure.:goodjob:

Chill, I'm glad you enjoyed your family time.

Lav, you didn't need to apologize! Hey, I thought of you the other day. I was at a TSC farm store and they had chicks for sale. I bought my first chickens that way years ago. Then I went to the method you use: ordering them and receiving them in the mail. Much more convenient! It's been a long time since my chicken days. I wish I could show you the video I made of them for my preschoolers years ago. What fun that was. I showed it to the class and then of course we prepared scrambled eggs!

Papmom you are a shopper extraordinaire!

Jolie, did you tackle your taxes? Lucky for me, Mr. D did them for us last week while I was at work. He was so stressed out over it! I can't believe that people nationwide are subjected to this complex, irksome, anxiety provoking process every year. If I were president, we'd have a much simpler process! Maybe I should run!:H

Rusty, sorry about your weather challenge. I didn't know there was a tornado in Columbus! At the same time as you were experiencing that, I was experiencing a brief hailstorm. Glad we both weathered them af!

I was reading a book yesterday and during one part a priest and a fellow were having a troubling conversation. The priest offered the other fellow some brandy to calm their nerves. The other man replied:

"I prefer clarity."

So do we!
          Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

I prefer clarity, too. I am reading the Jason Vale book and love it. Especially appreciate the part of how we are brainwashed to believe that alcohol relaxes us and has benefits, when the reality is that it makes us stupid and not ourselves. On these threads, over and over, when people are AF, they are usually strong, confident, healthy and vibrant. Drinking again does just the opposite, bringing forth all kinds of negativity and chaos. I love being free.

SD, wow, nine months and on vacation with drinkers and being free! What an accomplishment, how does it feel?

Rusty, good to hear from you, I saw the storms on radar, and they looked strong. With this warm weather, we are probably in for some monster storms when it breaks. Have a good week.

Dill, thanks for the quote and congrats on the grandbaby. I love the unique names for kids, even the bizarre ones. Emerson has dignity and strength.

Chill, have a great week, Lav we grilled chicken too, Pap you are so lucky to have lots of vacation time. To all, Jolie, Guitarista, Cassia, let's enjoy our Monday.
            Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Hi Gang!

Star, I just finished ready the Vale book the other night. It really has changed my view of AL and I am so grateful that I read it. Yes, totally, AL does the exact opposite of what we have been brainwashed since birth that it will do for us! All day long, I think of Jason's wise words and they are helping me stay AF. I realize now that I really don't want to drink...what good would it do for me? NOTHING! I want to read some of his other books now also, the ones on juicing. I think he is very motivational.

Well, gotta run to work...should be a busy day. 2 more days and then my "weekend"! Hope you all had a great few days off those of you with your weekends off. Have a great day to everyone checking in today!

--Blondie
              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
              :h

Comment

Good morning Marchers,

Tomorrow is the frst day of Spring. Today I am 34 months smoke free. Next Monday is my 3 year AF anni. So much to look forward to in the near future

SD, Congrats to you on your 9 moths AF & successful vacation
                Bet you are feeling fantastic!!!

Rusty, be carefu out there in the real world!

chill, I hear you on unhealthy buffets. People have commented that they miss my 'old cooking' :H
                Who cares? I'm happier eating better food these days

Dill, I eyed up the ducklings in the feed store a couple of weeks ago. They were absolutely adorable. Maybe someday I'll think about getting one or two but right now. I would have to house them separately I suppose, hmmm. EB really enjoys the chickens, they seem to like him too (or at least they're used to him at this point).

Star, I stubbornly refuse to give up my clarity, confidence & peace of mind. I will keep my quits regardless of what's going on in my life. I can, at this point look back & see that no substance on earth helps us. The only thing that helps us is a clear mind

OK, off to get my day going. Have a great Moday everyone!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning all! (guess it's actually afternoon)

Lav I didn't even attempt the taxes yesterday (lazy me). I've been using turbo tax the past couple of years because now that my husband isn't self employed anymore and works in the same state we live in, our taxes are much easier. Hope I'm not making a mistake by letting a professional do them

Dill - put your name on the ballot and I will definitely vote for you! I so dread this time of year it's not even funny.

Papmom - thanks for the welcome back - sounds like you and your sis had a lot of fun shopping. We must be of the same mind-set cause if I can't get it on sale, I usually don't get it:H

Rusty - baked a german chocolate cake (hubby's fav - and I like it too). Sorry to hear about the bad weather.

SD - congrats and congrats! first vacation AF and 9 months - truly inspiring.

Star - wise words. Haven't read Jason Vale yet but did read the Alan Carr book.

Chill - glad you enjoyed your family time - even better that you avoided the sweets - don't know if i would have had the willpower.

Okay - back to work

Hey Blondie! and you are totally right! Alcohol does absolutely NOTHING for us!

Have a great day everyone!
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Evening Everyone

Phew Monday over and it was another crazy one! The sales market is definately picking up and I have been flat out doing valuations, its my least fav part of the job as Im always concerned about insulting people when I tell them there home is worth far less than they thought. I certainly WONT miss that part of the job.

Dill - I love love love your quote from the book! Clarity instead of brandy, here here! I recently observed (before I sold my tv!) that in our TV soaps, whenever there was a crisis, i.e. someone cheating on a partner, a death, a job loss, a fight, whatever..... the lines would go "I'll make you a cup of tea" "No I need something stronger". Throughout our whole society its accepted that's what we do to cope when something goes wrong. Its so sad, yes, facing up to our problems takes more courage when we are sober but we are learning HOW to deal with them and are growing as human beings by doing so, clarity it is.

Lav - I have to know, do ducks and chickens not get along? What would happen if you put them together?

Star - Im like you, love names that are different even the slightly crazy ones! Ok maybe not Apple..... Another Jason Vale fan, I need to get reading this book!

Blondie - I have read his book, "Slim for Life" and loved it, I have had a very healthy diet for a long time but since I read this book I have tweaked it even more and the amazing think is, like you say about the AL, I now cant stomach some of the unhealthy foods I used to like, its as if I have been re-programmed! Unfortunately is hasnt worked yet for chocolate

Jolie - I read Allan Carr and loved it! I had stopped smoking 16 years ago by going to his clinic and therefore totally trusted him. I dont want to know if the chocolate cake was good, its 20 more days till I get to have some :upset: Its been quite tough as it was my only real treat but I feel great from dropping the sugar and I have lost weight.
                    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                    AF - JAN 1st 2010
                    NF - May 1996

Comment

Hello magical mad marchers :hallo:

May I come squat here for a while? I'm having a tough time keeping 'those' thoughts at bay and as of today am counting on Antabuse to get me over the hump. I hope that's all it is. Sigh.

SD, Congrats all the way around! And hello to everyone else here!
                      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hey Sunni -
                        Hang on to our coat tails - you'll be fine with us
                        Anything special going on with you causing those 'thoughts'?

Jolie, Turbo tax is fine for most people. Our situation is extra confusing because of pensions, tax payments we have to make throughout the year, my business, YB's out of state job, etc. It's basically a giant pain in the ass so I prefer to hand it to the accountant :H

Chill, I think if you raise ducklings & chicks together from the very beginning it probably would be OK. But my hens are nearly 1 & 2 years old. They are already pretty well crammed in their quarters. Having ducks would require different feeds, a water source, etc, etc. I just have to keep resisting the urge to buy a couple - the ducklings are so cute

Egg production was good today so I guess my grilled chicken dinner last night didn't offend them afterall :H
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hiya Marcher's!

Hi GG, you are doing a fantastic job with your AF time. 5 months is nothing to sneeze at. For me it's just about my mind set. And sometimes it needs a little re- tweaking. This might mean a positive distraction like an inspiring movie or book, a phone call to a friend. Anything it takes to get me out of my head for a while until i regroup and be grateful for the fact that i have begun my AF journey.

Vote 1 Dill! Safe travels Rusty!

Wishing everyone a safe, sober, and magical week.

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good Evening My Dear Magical Marching Mates,

I'm here in one of my favorite spots...Dayton...right near the U of D campus. The weather is great.

Dill, fabulous quote...I prefer clarity, too.

Lav-congratulations on your SF anniversary!:goodjob: I've never smoked, but I hear the nicotine addiction is worse than AL.

SD-Nine months AF! YAHOO! You rock, woman. :yay:And I'm so glad you're back from vacation, and you're still AF...despite being surrounded by the drinking crowd You're amazing.

Star-absolutely....when we are AF, we are strong, confident....all those things. When we are not AF....we don't DEAL with anything, we try to drown The Beast. The problem is, the little bastard swims...is a stronger swimmer than we are, and can hold our heads underwater, while we're looking up at the surface, trying to escape.

Chill-oh yeah.....telling someone their house is worth wayyyy less than what it's worth. One of my closest friends is in real estate....what a tough job that is.....he's ready to ditch that profession.

Jolie-German Chocolate Cake-YUM!!!

Hiya Mr. G.

Sunni-great to see you here:l We don't get many visitors from the Daily Thread. My underarm deodorant must have failed me.:H Are you having cravings....or are they passing thoughts? Good thing you're still taking Antabuse...whatever works. Have you gone into the General Discussion Forum thread and looked at the "Rain In Your Heart Documentary" posted by Startingover? Powerful. I was having odd thoughts the other night....not sure why....clicked on the first story....and thought, ugh.....not even thinkin' about drinkin. Powerful and sad.

Shoutouts to LBH, Papmom, Sped, Rustop, Sooty, Blonde, and anyone I might have missed...have a fab AF Monday night!

Comment

:H Rusty
                              And thank you all :l I've made it through the day... it wasn't/isn't TODAY I'm worried about; it's more of a subtle shift in thinking that's got me bugged. Nothing out of the ordinary is going on... if anything, things are GOOD. I really think it's just that I associate certain tasks (especially outdoor stuff) with drinking.. still. This sort of thing has derailed me in the past but I have no intention of making the same mistake twice (ok, 14 times).

Well, it's close to 1am... and I need my beauty sleep. God, do I ever.

So, good night and sweet dreams to all
                              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Evening Marchers!

Sunni G!!! Hey Girl!!:l So nice to see you over here in Aber-land!:H You should make this a stopping spot more often!! 5 months AF--WAY TO GO!!! Feels amazing, huh?!? I really started to notice big changes after 6 months...and I always thought that was crazy when people said that but it's so true!! I think it was right before I hit 6 months I went through an emotional "thing" and then it seemed like gradually the grey clouds lifted and I started "feeling" better...emotionally...and handling things that would have sent me drinking or bawling (or both) before didn't seem so hard anymore. Today, at 9 months, I can honestly say...I just feel happy, or content...able to handle what life throws at me...it's awesome! Please stick around..we'd love to have your sunni spirit here!!

Dill--I really liked your quote as well...kinda what I was saying above...that clarity I have now, nothing beats it...I know there were conversations that I had with my dad while in Florida that he won't remember (because they were had after oh....9 PM)....I could also tell on most mornings he felt very "fuzzy"....I felt very sad for him...It's so weird how differently I look at AL now...I honestly can't even believe it myself....I keep wondering if it's ever possible I'll go back to my old ways...or if this really is "me" now...you know what I mean??

Blondi-I actually read the Allan Carr book and thought it was really good...sounds kind of on the same lines as the book you read...changing your way of thinking about AL. The way this guy had you look at Al made you realize too that it was just poison you were putting in your body and it isn't anything you're missing out on...and really it's about perspective...you can't think of not drinking as a punishment...this is a good thing...a positive thing we are doing for ourselves....not depriving ourselves....well...you know...you read the book...hahaha!!! LOL!!!

Chill--You gave up chocolate for lent?? WOW!! That's great!! I gave up Oreos!! LOL!! One of my friends says to me...you gave up oreos or ALL cookies....I laughed..and said...are you crazy...not ALL cookies, just oreos!!! BUT.....normally I eat like 4-8 oreos a day so I thought that was a pretty lofty goal!! So far so good....I've just been feeding my face with donut holes!!!

By the way...awesome job to all the ladies losing weight!!! I'm horrible at it...never was good at it....so I'm very proud of anyone that can lose weight by diet and exercise!!! I have no problem admitting, I'm weak! LOL!! Way to go Lady Marchers!!!

Jolie--Hey there!! Welcome back!! Nice to see you again!! I'm sick and twisted, but i love doing my taxes (probably because they are so simple...I'm in education in SD so I'm broke so they don't take very long to do...lol!!!!)

Rusty--Hate to start talking football this soon but...are you following this Manning to the Broncos thing?? That kinda surprised me!! We went to a couple of Twins games while we were in Florida too...they played Yankees and then the Orioles (or something like that)....did some fishing too!! Seriously...and I can't find a man WHY???? Maybe I need to find a few more girlie hobbies, ya think?? LOL!!! NAH!!!!

Lav--Awesome job on 34 months SF!!! That's sooooo incredible!!!!! I used to smoke...like in college...but like most things, I was a closet smoker too!! So the most I probably ever smoked was maybe 2 cigs a day...lol!! Hardly worth it...so I stopped!! Funny thing of it was...I could smoke when I drank...made me dizzy! HA!

Oh MY!!! It's after midnight!!!! I'm going to be SOOOO tired again tomorrow!! I better get some zzzz's!! Hello to everyone else...sorry..I got so long wnded..I wanted to say something to everyone tonight!!! Have a great Tuesday!!!
                                SD
                                "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
                                7/29/12

Comment

Working...
                                X