Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready to quit smoking? or Have you already Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grim, Oney, you can both do this.
    All the luck in the world to you!!!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Of course you can!!!!!

Never thought I could quit smoking and here I am, having just entered my 8th month as a non-smoker. It`s only as hard as we make it for ourselves........once I got that idea into my head.........it almost instantly became easier.

Okay, okay.........am now addicted to the nicotine gum, but..........BABY STEPS, right????????!!!!! :H

Star x
      Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Cheers oney. Looks like we can have shots each on this thread too, for now!!!!! :H :H :H
        Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Good luck to all of you who are trying to quit smoking. I gave up that beast about 15 (?) years ago, maybe more. It was tougher than quitting the AL in some ways. For what it's worth, a friend told me something that really seemed to help -- when you smoke, you're taking deeper breaths than you normally do. Even though the breaths are filled with all the nasty stuff in the cigs, part of the withdrawal dizziness and general yuk is your body missing the extra oxygen intake. The person recommended taking deep breaths when a cig craving hit. Not sure if the science behind this is valid, but it did help. Also, Nature abhors a vaccum, so replacing the fags with something else (NOT AL!!! heehee) helps as well. Xylotil chewing gum is good for your teeth. Maybe load up on your favorite flavors? Anyway, my heart and good wishes are with you!
          "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Wow, haven't seen this thread in awhile! I hope it continues to encourage all wanna be ex-smokers!! Great to hear the success stories we have here!
            I just celebrated my 1 year quit June 1st and I still can't believe it! But I had to give up the al in order to give up the smokes--that is how my brain is wired. Somedays I look at someone smoking and drinking a beer and really wish I could do that. But then I remember how shitty it tastes and feels the next day-- yuck!!
            Hang in there everybody--the good news is, it does get easier!!
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Grim, I took Zyban when I quit in Feb and it worked a treat. An interesting observation was there were three of us couples who all took Zyban -- today it is only the woman who have remained NF... all three men have started smoking again.
              I do also believe that all three of them were not as committed as us girls, they were quitting to show support.

I did also take the suppliements advised in Patrick Holfords book "How to quit without feeling shit".
              Let me know if you'd like the list, I'll PM you.

LilBit, I used a lot of different breathing techniques when I gave up -- for me it was more of a calming effect but there might me something in what your friend says.

Well done LVT!! A year NF is fantastic!!
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

LVT25;655126 wrote:
                I just celebrated my 1 year quit June 1st and I still can't believe it!
                A HUGE congratulations on your 1 year milestone.... :goodjob:
                You must be feeling on top of the world these days!!
                AF 6 years
                NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

I don't know why I never noticed this thread until today..............

Haven't read all the posts, just the last few pages.
                  I don't know if someone has already mentioned this but I just wanted to say that I joined QuitNet, an online support group very similar to MWO, have used Commit Lozenges (still using them) and am now, very happily 47 days smoke free
                  I was a pack and 1/2 per day smoker for a very, very long time. Honestly, quitting smoking probably was harder than quitting drinking.
                  I was determined to make this my year to quit my addictions and I have!! I am a 55 year old brand new grandmother, thought it was high time to get myself together.

I wish everyone strength & success in their quits!!
                  I renew my pledge to not smoke or drink every day on Quitnet.org
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I smoked for 38 years and am celebrating my two year smoke free anniversary this weekend. I did not think I would ever be a non smoker before I finally quit, for the probably eighteenth or nineteenth (or maybe the twentieth) time. I used Chantix, which has got a bad rap recently. Sorry it has, it was a miracle drug for me. I am so happy to not smoke anymore. I hope everyone who wants to be a non smoker can achieve that goal.

I was quite surprised actually to realize that I'm a non smoker for two years now. I had forgot. It does go away, have faith! xo Beth
                    vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Lavade, I too used quitnet for a while.

Beth - TWO YEARS NF!! Congrats!
                      I love being a non-smoker.
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

It will get better oney, I promise.
                        are you craving all the time?

Comment

Dont be daft, we are here to help each other...

OK, go and have a drink of ice cold water...and put some lglut under your tongue OK?

Comment

No you arent, its VERY difficult giving up, but not impossible and you WILL get through. If you want me to call you, I will OK?
                            See how you feel in 10 miins after doing that.

Comment

How are you doing Oney?

Comment

OK, keep guzzlng ice cold water and taking the lglut.

Comment

Working...
                                X