Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: May 2019 Army Thread 2019

Originally posted by starty View Post
    Does it make a difference doing a hip on a tall person? Hopefully you will find out why it dislocated on Friday
    As an old friend used to say Starts - when eying up men- "they're all the same lying down" ...... :haha:

Comment

Originally posted by starty View Post
      Does it make a difference doing a hip on a tall person? Hopefully you will find out why it dislocated on Friday
      I've no idea.
      Prolly just the length of the operating table. If his legs were dangling off the end, it would have caused a few logistic problems.
      Just a thought though weight, height, whether you are or were a smoker all factor into the anesthetic.

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
      As an old friend used to say Starts - when eying up men- "they're all the same lying down" ...... :haha:
      Exactly.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Nope, cant believe its nearly 4 years, honestly, I am shocked when I think about it. Other people do that.. now I am an 'other people'.
        Pinged you.

Didnt watch the Eurovision, lost interest a while back. Loved it as a kid, but its very complicated now.

Well done Rustop, you must be very fit too. [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION], you and the new hip will be well able for those climbs when your ready. How far could the dogs manage?
        AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

I think the dogs would go as far as I could and further Mary. After a good walk they just crash and are ready again either later or the next day. They dont have to worry about jobs, cooking and housework :haha:

4 years! thats amazing. Do you think you will ever drink again or do you feel 100% solid? After my 7 years I lost my conviction in myself. Before that I was absolutely certain I would never drink again but now that certainty even though I have no desire or wish to drink has left me. I wish I could get it back. I guess my confidence is knocked

Comment

Morning,
            So are you slipping and sliding now, Starty?
            I know I can't drink again. End of. I know that the next time.........if there is a next time, I'm not complacent.............it will lead me down the horrible depression that will see me stuck in the kitchen with a bottle of vodka and a bottle of paracetamol or two.
            I tried to the nth degree to moderate. The jealously of someone who can nurse one glass of wine has gone.
            Not only did my mother die of a horrible lonely death through alcohol. I had a dear friend who died aged 52. Oddly enough I found his photo in a drawer just yesterday........I miss our conversations. His knowledge of rock music was amazing and if I had a higher power I think he'd be it as he was enormously proud of me getting sober. If I ever have a fleeting thought then I think of Norman and his encouragement.
            I don't hate alcohol but I do hate what alcohol does to some of us.

In other news.........Jenny had lost her phone, you'd think they'd chopped off her left arm. (she's left handed)
            I've got a funny tummy........all that foreign food in Scotland
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Nah, sober as a judge and clean as a whistle. Not even having refined sugar and feel great. I am just worried about getting excited about it as I have always come crashing down except when I had the 7 years.

Comment

Evening everyone. No you won’t Starty, you are doing great and with the new hip, part time job life will just get better and better. Just in from work so need to get some food and have a read back. Weeks are flying, just realized today that it’s next week that I am off to Spain.

Comment

Ah rustop, you will have a blast!

Thats a hard one [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION]. Never ever is too big to contemplate. I feel solid today and Im confident Ill be solid tomorrow, but I cant say it with the same conviction as JC..
                  Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                  I know I can't drink again. End of.
                  I hadn't hit the bottle in the morning, but I was certainly on a one way train, picking up speed when I jumped off. What I can say with conviction, is that I never want to go back there again, and thats got me this far.

After 7 years Starty, when you made the decision to drink, was there a build up to it? Did you think you could handle it? What would you do differently to avoid that now?

I bet Norman is really proud of his buddy, almost a decade, we all are:happy2:

Comment

I cant even really remember Mary, I think it was compounded by feeling under constant pressure and a feeling of missing out at work functions maybe? Since 2014 I have had weeks, months sober but it never sticks so have lost my confidence a bit. Hoping that my new lifestyle will help with that and I truly do feel so much better mentally when I am clean and sober. My energy is coming back and I love not having to think will I wont I thoughts and the feeling of freedom that brings. Plus I love the extra money in my purse The difference in now and then is definitely the time I have to destress. A weekend was never enough to recalibrate and then go back to work and do it all again.
                    It is only in recent years that I got the ODAT concept. Never understood it before as I was always all or nothing. ODAT defo helps me now

Rustop you must have a good few years under your belt?

Comment

Morning,
                      I've been dithering about waiting for the gasman (he is male so I don't have to say gas person). He's on his way.
                      [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]..........i should rephrase that.........I know I can never drink safely again. End of.
                      He's here now.
                      Bacinabit.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

My opinion on it is :
                        Using the analogy of the slippy slidey pit.
                        It depends on how far down the pit you were and how many times you almost got out but slid back down. I think the further down you were that horror of it happening again keeps us sober.
                        Some here were at the bottom :hug: some well on their way down - with the rest slipping & sliding down. Maybe slowly for some but deffo in that direction.

Once you've been down there the only way is back up and looking back you would rather die that be at the bottom or anywhere in that general direction again.
                        Trouble is we KNOW that a next time would not be a gradual slide , but head first to the bottom - so we will not take that first drink.

Here endeth the parable according to Satzy ......

Comment

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]...........and a very good parable it is.
                          Took me an age to work out what the phrase..........you reach the bottom when you stop digging.
                          Each of our bottoms are different........mine was a sad and sorry tale.
                          If I could have stuck to one bottle of wine a day I would have thought I was quite normal..........everyone else does it. Listen to some stories from AA, here, SMART..........we're all different. Just like we've all got different shoe sizes, dress sizes, home lives if its a problem then its a problem. The likes of us obsess.
                          Never taken a morning drink..........what about at airports, on a plane, Christmas day, a boozy lunch.........normies do that but do they get the gnawing in their stomach for the next 'respectable' time to drink?
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

[MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION], You do sound like your head is in a good place right now - work was a massive stress factor. I think getting your mojo back is comes hand in hand with sober time. I didn't realise I had any in the first place, it had been missing for so long!

Trouble is we KNOW that a next time would not be a gradual slide , but head first to the bottom - so we will not take that first drink.
                            Here endeth the parable according to Satzy ......
                            Amen to slidy slope parables. Well said.

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                            [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] The likes of us obsess.
                            Never taken a morning drink..........what about at airports, on a plane, Christmas day, a boozy lunch.........normies do that but do they get the gnawing in their stomach for the next 'respectable' time to drink?
                            YES! I actually loved and hated those early morning drinks equally. Loved, because I was having a drink and hated because the gap until the next drink could be hours, panic!
                            Which is why I only liked to start drinking when I could continue without interruption. And alone, preferably.

Comment

Before my first period of sobriety I defo think I was at my rock bottom. Suicidal depression, morning drinking, alcoholic poisoning and absolutely didnt believe that I could live without. Not drinking for 7 years showed me I could and it also showed me I could be happy. However, after that, although the drinking was never as bad, the obsession was back, the early morning or middle of the night drining, the underlying depression and the guilt crept in.

Got the auth for op :egad: now just got to book a date. When is a good time to have a hip replacement???? This is stressing me ray:

Comment

Good morning Starty and all to come. Hard to say Starty, how is Mr S fixed, can he take some time off? Sooner the better if he can. I was a slipper and slider. In answer to your question yesterday, I’m coming up on 2 years. I failed so many times that I stopped counting days and just took it a day at a time, not really believing that it would stick but the days mounted and it has become a way of life. Checking in every day is very important, for me drifting off was a license to drink.

Was daughters birthday yesterday so we went out for dinner and I drove. It’s great the freedom it gives like that. Have tiny, tiny foster pup here at the moment. Very cute but like having a baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X