100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations Sunbeam, I always love your posts!

It's very comforting to share this space with folks who are serious about AF life.

Dottie is really does get easier doesn't it! For a while, I was afraid of making lots of life changes "just in case" I screwed it up. Then I realized that if I didn't invest myself in AF life and make major changes that I wouldn't have much to lose by screwing bit up.
    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
    AF 11/12/11

Comment

:wd: on 500 AF days Sunbeam
      What a great number!!!

NoSugar, we must make you the official counter of days around here

Pinecone, the spirit of the community here does a lot for all of us I think.
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Congrats Sunbeam. 500 days. Wow. I'm still chasing 180 days. Get past that and its on to 360 days.

I finally had a talk with my wife. I'm glad that I don't have to hide. Not sure what she is thinking but she was supportive. She has a bad history with Alkies so we shall see.

Byrdie. Not sure if I posted this but I am sorry for your loss. K9 you beat the bottle.and its way bigger than a Cig. (Literally of course)
        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Congrats Sunbeam on your 500!!!!
          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Hi,

I know I'm not in this club (yet - only 57 days to go!) but I know this is where I can find Sunbeam. I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your 500 days and let you know that you have been a huge influence in my sober journey. I have read and shared a lot of your wisdom, especially from the tool box. Thanks for being there and supporting the rest of us.

Ok - see you all in 57 days!

Comment

Pavati, thanks so much for your kind words. I had no idea that I had helped you, thanks for telling me. You have warmed my heart today.

I also appreciate all of your kind thoughts. I wonder occasionally what my life would be like if I hadn't quit when I did. Not a pretty image.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I just wanted to say "HI".
                I am so excited to be a part of this group-- even though I'm a little late coming by!
                I was in Arizona visiting my parents as I hit 100 days so I celebrated with them.

Sunbeam, Congratulations on 500 days. I have enjoyed reading your posts here and on other threads.
                I didn't know so many people were reading this thread.. awesome. I thought it wasn't even allowed to read here without 100 days! I've been in Germany too long-- following the rules. Next thing you know I won't walk across the street on a red at 5am on a Sunday morning with NO ONE in sight!:H

You are all so inspiring here-- show what it's like to start living a normal life.
                I've just been reading, "Drinking, a Love Story", which has been very uncomfortable for me at times. And to be honest, I don't know if it's a great book for people just beginning the sober journey. The way she describes falling in love with drinking, the way it made her feel-- it could be dangerous for one not super strong in their convictions. It is really good, though. Very well written, very thoughtful, insightful-- full of good information. I'm on the chapter DENIAL right now.

Sunbeam, I would like to copy your signature "tool box" recommendation in the Nest. I hope you don't mind. I read through it last night and think it could be very helpful for some.

So, a good night to you all..

Comment

Lifechange, welcome and thanks for your supportive words. Feel free to copy the list; it has been a great tool for me, but I got it from Mario, and it appears to have been assembled from many sources. I think it's wonderful for people to have choices, to be able to tailor their own program. That's the theme of this site. But it also sends an important message, that you need to keep working on your alcohol problem for the necessary healing to occur. This will best enable a person's long-term success.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

That's the truth Sunbeam - no one knows us better than ourselves. It makes perfect sense for each individual to address their personal triggers

Welcome LC, glad you are here with us
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

HI LC glad u joined us!!
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Getting chilly here on the right coast again Sam - I enjoyed the few balmy but rainy days.
                        I have to stop myself from thinking about Spring :flower:

How's everyone else doing with their winter weather?
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Cold here too, Lav. Ima bout tired of it! I haven't felt my toes in months! Glad to see everyone!!
                          I am reminded of just how far we have come....my heart goes out to the newbies who I know are struggling tonight. It is so nice to spend a relaxing, peaceful evening without a thought of AL. It took a while to get here, but I am so thankful that I stuck it out. It hasn't always been easy, but anything was easier than that life I was leading before. So thankful for all my friends here!!! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

That was such a nice post, Byrdie :l.

I'm traveling right now - probably about the 8th trip since I stopped drinking and continue to be thrilled with how much easier and more fun it is than when I spent so much time and energy figuring out how I would be able to drink. Now I can just go with the flow and enjoy whatever we're doing, whenever we're doing it. I wish the struggling newbies could just feel a bit of this - the struggles might still be there but they would know it is worth it!

Have you all noticed some of the big numbers being posted on the roll call? I don't know if I've ever seen so many people doing so well at one time. This thread might be getting pretty busy over the next few weeks - I hope so!

Comment

I am also happy to have a quiet AF night...no more trying to figure out getting wine and how much is left etc. I feel so much better....
                              I have been struggling with this for so many years and it is a huge relief to have so many days behind me...I so appreciate the help and support I got here....hope the newbies feel the love...
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Hi everyone!
                                I just posted in the Nest about the struggle I've had the past couple of days. And I wanted to write here, too, possibly to get some insight, and just for my own accountability.
                                I almost convinced myself that I could moderate, which scares me to death. Being away from my normal life for 5 weeks allowed me to "forget" about some of the ongoing problems I'd been actively working on finding solutions for. The first couple of days I was back it was like a Honeymoon, very surreal and dream like due to jet lag-- and then BOOM real life kicked in. I didn't expect at all for a drink to cross my mind. And then instead of coming here and talking about it (because I felt a bit stupid and ashamed, even though I love and trust you all, especially you, NS, who have been by my side the whole time!) I let the thoughts develop into a nice- sounding possibility. I actually began to wonder if I really was as bad as I'd thought, started to resent not being "allowed" to drink.-- I'm surprised at how quickly my mind moved and how easy it was for me to begin to deceive myself. I read Star's post about how after 7 months AF she felt like she might let people down if she posted about wanting to drink-- and I totally understand.

How long are we considered Newbies? I guess I kind of felt like I wasn't such a Newbie anymore. But of course in the scheme of things and compared to how long I was actively drinking, I am very new to all of this.

This scared me so much because I started to obsess about when and how I would start drinking again. I knew that in itself was all I needed to prove I couldn't do it-- but I stifled the uneasiness and fantasized about drinking! Which really pisses me off, 'cause I love my life without AL. I have been happier and more serene in the past 4+ months than ever before. That I would even toy with the idea of going back to what I was or of trying to moderate tells me I still have so much work to do. Probably a great WARNING!

Anyway. I'm glad I survived it! I am happy to be back in "safe" territory on a sunny Saturday morning. I am going to work again on my Gratitude list. Update it. And work on facing up to some of the things I've been procrastinating doing.

Thanks all.:l Life

Comment

Working...
                                X