Mod Squad - July Thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peri - I think there are alot of people in denial about their drinking and probably should be here. They don't see anything wrong with it. Getting blasted on a weekend - they do it because that's what people do - that's what people are supposed to do. I wonder who first told that lie? Well, actually that's a question I know the answer to and his name begins with 'S'.

J-vo - I know when I go on holiday it's an excuse to drink more. Deebee's resolution to have as many AF days as possible and then an AF August sounds good. Not sure I can gear myself up to that though - I'll be honest.

I've been feeling vulnerable myself lately - I've been procrastinating about buying a bottle of vodka when I next go shopping. That day is today. Maybe it's the notion that I maybe being made redundant in 2 months time. But after recent events it would be hypocritical to do so - so I won't.

Anyway, I have 2 jobs to apply for when I get home...
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

I really need to change that mouldy cake avatar.
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

vlad;670326 wrote: I really need to change that mouldy cake avatar.
        I agree!!
        And don't you dare buy that bottle of vodka!:no:
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I won't.

Comment

Oo mne yest novi avatar!!! Oi da!

Comment

I didn't buy any vodka.

Comment

Yeah, vlad, You go girl!
                Hi 'Long Road' I haven't 'met' you yet.
                Thanks all who wanted to pact- I guess I'm not ready yet. Still have too many wounds to lick and a glass of wine helps.
                Hi Mooderator. Thanks for the support.
                Hi Lila- missed you. You can p.m. me if you need to any time
                Blessings
                Toughen up!

Comment

Hi this is my first time posting and would really appreciate any feedback as this seems like a very great thread.

I am interested in moderating my drinking. I actually think I have been fairly successful (with a few huge screw ups).

January 18, 2009 I was at a normal bar hanging out w/ my friend the owner. He is a friend because I go to the bar, no other reason. I ended up taking multiple shots with him (letting loose). Up to this point in my life nothing good had ever come from drinking hard alcohol. Next thing I know I am in a hospital with an iv in my arm after totally blacking out.

Following this occurance I decided to stop drinking for 90 days. I did this successfully and did not have any screw ups. I actually went to bars with friends and drank soda waters.

Fast forward.

After those 90 days I decided I could drink beer and wine again and liquor on special occassions. I believe giving myself the "out" with a special occassion is where I made my greatest mistake last Thursday January 16th. I was at that same bar taking shots with the owner. I blacked out and wound up at a hospital not remembering how I got there. I was in at 6am and out by 730. Was just flat out drunk, but still I have a huge problem when I drink hard liquor.

Up to that point I had only drank beer and wine for 3 full months with no blackouts. I was successfully moderating. I have now hit this huge bump in the road and feel like I am set back to square 1. 90 days no drinking, 90 moderating, and 1 scew up and im in the same place. I have not drank since that incident and it has not been hard at all.

I am not going to abstain from drinking, but have made a promise to myself never to drink hard alcohol ever again in my life. NEVER and no outs this time. Do you all think this is a good plan? Or do you think I am crazy and should just abstain forever? I truly think I can handle just beer and wine.

Thanks for the help you all.

Comment

Welcome Gator! To be honest everyone's different, but I find that I can moderate wine and beer quite well. Hard liquor, well I know if I buy a litre bottle vodka, I'll drink at least half the bottle in one go so I stay away. Had the temptation last night to buy a bottle whilst at the supermarket (was trying to tell myself I could moderate it really), but realistically I knew that if I did, I was just gearing myself up for another slip. I gave it some good thought, I thought about whether I could only drink 4 shots for the evening and the conclusion was, 'Naah, that wouldn't be enough...' So the answer is no. No vodka for Vlad.

Just to give you an idea of how I'm doing... I drink no more than 2 drinks in one session and have 2-3 days a week AF. There are people on this thread that set a way better example than me though.

Comment

Hi Gator and welcome...wise words from Vlad there.

I think it is very difficult for any of us to tell you what you can and cant handle. We only have two paragraphs about your life to go on and I feel we each have to find our own journey. On that journey there will be success and failure, that is inevitable.

So, I for one will not be telling you what I think you should do. I will say however that if I had found myself in the situation you discribe where AL had put me in hospital for any reason, even the once, I would have to think hard before deciding whether I still wanted it in my life at all.

You seem fairly sure you can handle beer and wine, so if you feel that you can make that commitment at this point then start there, and see how you go. It may be that only time, trial and error will give you the answer you are looking for. It might be useful for you to use drinktracker. I do and a few of us here do. It may seem dull filling it in daily or weekly, but after a while patterns form and really help you see when and why things go wrong or right and also really shows you what you ARE drinking when applied honestly. I think you might find it will help. It is also a lovely feeling to fill in lots of zeros.

One more comment I would make is even though you have already proved you can abstain and for 90 day (which is brilliant, well done) it might be worth committing to a period of time again (whatever you want to do) and in that time post here, read here, ask us and yourself questions and just "be" with yourself on the subject and see what that brings.

Good luck ...we will support you whatever you decide and you are very welcome here....remember these are just my thoughts.....no more than that. x
                      "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                      but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Morning Moody! Just reminded me about my drink tracker, off to fill it in.

Comment

Have a webinar to 'attend' today at 9.00am EST (about 2.00pm for me) - have set my computer clock so I remember, seems funny being in work at 06.21am!!! But hopefully I'll get some good marketing tips.

Comment

Hi and a warm welcome to you Gator.
                            Hard liquer and me have never seen eye to eye. I believe it's because I've always abused it -- shots (or what we call shooters here) are purely for getting rat-arsed. There's nothing pretty about it.
                            Like Vlad and Moo both mentioned the mod route is different for everyone... we all have one goal in mind and that is to support one another unconditionally on thier journey. So keep reading, keep learning and we're here to help you along the way.

Vladster, I was just thinking....(carefull LOL) why is it that you are thinking of buying a bottle of Vodka? I mean, why now? Do you crave the taste of it?

Moo, you're a good influence on me -- for lunch I am having a cous cous salad with butternut and feta :yuk:and a 100% pure blueberry juice. I miss my choc chip muffin :boohoo:

Well I am off to fetch the daughter as she has (very reluctantly) agreed to come to yoga with me..... catch you later:l
                            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi gator,
                              I think you are what is called a binge drinker. Often they can go without or control how much they drink for long periods of time, then BANG, they sometimes continue drinking for days "on a bender". I used to binge "just" on Sunday afternoons. Now I mostly don't drink on Sundays. I think the binges are much more emotional than physical, based on memories and habits. It sounds like you already know what you need to do: avoid hard liquor. As long as you do that, and are careful with your quantities of beer and wine, you may be fine. There are no garantees in this business, we are all so different. I would suggest using Drink Tracker, to make sure your quantities are not edging up over time. I believe that if quantities do gradually increase, they can lead to more binges.
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

DeeBee;671261 wrote:
                                Vladster, I was just thinking....(carefull LOL) why is it that you are thinking of buying a bottle of Vodka? I mean, why now? Do you crave the taste of it?
                                Yeah, I always really enjoyed it straight from the freezer, and I think sometimes it just appeals.

Comment

Working...
                                X